5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate,

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the mass of a compound with a given number of moles, including the consideration of the molar mass and the inclusion of any extra components such as water. It also touches on the concept of concentration and the abbreviation of "mole" to "mol".
DarylMBCP
If I have 5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate, for example, what is the mass? I knw that I have to tke the number of moles times the molar mass to find the mass but what is the molar mass of the compound I suggested? Do I hve to include the extra 2H2O part when finding the molar mass? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

DarylMBCP said:
If I have 5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate, for example, what is the mass? I knw that I have to tke the number of moles times the molar mass to find the mass but what is the molar mass of the compound I suggested? Do I hve to include the extra 2H2O part when finding the molar mass?

Yup. The water's going to be there if you weight it, right?

DarylMBCP said:
If I have 5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate, for example, what is the mass? I knw that I have to tke the number of moles times the molar mass to find the mass but what is the molar mass of the compound I suggested? Do I hve to include the extra 2H2O part when finding the molar mass? Thanks for the help.

Yes , an example of another hydrate is the hydrate of hydrogen phosphate , it's crystalline which is able to be isolated.

Ok, thanks guys. Btw, how do I find the number of moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate in 1dm3 of aqueous solution if the concentration of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate is 1mol/dm3? Is is even possible to have the concentration of a hydrate in water? Thanks for the help again.

If I dissolve 1 mole of substance in 1 liter of solution I have 1M solution. Doesn't matter if it was hydrate, dihydrate or something else. But as solution prepared by dissolving 1 mole of dhydrate is no different from the solution prepared by dissolving 1 mole of anhydrous salt (or 1 mole of decahydrate) - this 'hydrate' part is omitted.

There are probably very specific cases when such solutions will differ - for example it can be impossible to prepare concentrated solution of some substance using hydrated salt (too much water to get correct concentration). But these are rare cases, that can be safely ignored at first approach.

Borek do you know who came up with the idea to shorten the word mole to mol?I think it was a brilliant idea and a great time saver. :biggrin:

K, thnks for the help guys.

1. What is "5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate"?

"5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate" refers to a chemical compound with the molecular formula HI2 · 2H2O. It is composed of 5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide (HI) and 5 moles of water (H2O).

2. How is "5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate" formed?

"5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate" can be formed by combining 5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide (HI) and 5 moles of water (H2O) in the presence of certain catalysts or under specific temperature and pressure conditions.

3. What are the properties of "5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate"?

"5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate" is a colorless, crystalline solid at room temperature. It has a melting point of approximately 60°C and is highly soluble in water. It is also a strong acid and can be corrosive to certain metals.

4. What are the uses of "5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate"?

"5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate" has various industrial uses, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals, dyes, and chemicals. It is also used in organic synthesis reactions and as a reagent in laboratory experiments.

5. Is "5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate" hazardous?

Yes, "5 moles of Hydrogen Iodide dihydrate" can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is a corrosive substance and can cause skin and respiratory irritation. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling this compound.