M.Sc. in the UK: Feasibility for US Student & Spouse?

In summary, if you already have a Bsc in physics and want to do a masters in the US in a year, you need to be aware of the level of understanding required and be prepared to read visa information given by the home office. Going to the UK to take a masters may be a reasonable thing to do, assuming you have a good GPA and are willing to move overseas afterwards.
lubuntu
I am looking to complete a 1 year M.Sc. in the UK as a US student, how feasible is this, assuming I can come up with the funds needed? When I get there would my wife be able to work full-time while I am studying? Also, are there any US programs that offer an M.Sc. in a year instead of two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you have a Bsc in physics already 1 year is the standard time taken to complete a masters yes, however I'm unsure as to the US/UK switch in terms of level of understanding.

If you want to do a whole bsc & masters in a year, I'm not sure that's possible...

Chewy0087 said:
Assuming you have a Bsc in physics already 1 year is the standard time taken to complete a masters yes, however I'm unsure as to the US/UK switch in terms of level of understanding.

If you want to do a whole bsc & masters in a year, I'm not sure that's possible...

Well, I already will have my B.Sc. so I guess my question is more specific as to coming over with a US B.Sc.

lubuntu said:
When I get there would my wife be able to work full-time while I am studying?

You really need to start reading visa information given by the home office for questions like this: they know a lot more than people on a forum! http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf5students#15932676

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo said:
You really need to start reading visa information given by the home office for questions like this: they know a lot more than people on a forum! http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf5students#15932676

You are right Cristo, I found that she would indeed be able to work if I get accepted for a 12 month period. As I am thinking you are a UK national, I further inquire;

does my B.Sc. in the US provide the background needed for a UK M.Sc?

Are there any tests like the GRE for the UK?

What is the rough American analog of a 2:1 degree in the UK GPA-wise?

Does going to the UK to take a Master seem like a reasonable thing to do?

I'm not so worried about how my master's from the UK will be viewed in the US as I am more looking toward moving to the UK or Europe afterward, by either getting a Tier 1 Visa or my pending EU citizenship.

Also, if any American know about obtaining postgrad funding for foreign studies, I would appreciate any info!

Thanks as always!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the duration of an M.Sc. program in the UK for a US student?

Typically, an M.Sc. program in the UK lasts for 1 year for full-time students. However, some programs may have a duration of up to 2 years.

2. Is it feasible for a US student and their spouse to study and live in the UK during the program?

Yes, it is feasible for a US student and their spouse to study and live in the UK during an M.Sc. program. The student can obtain a Tier 4 student visa, which allows their spouse to apply for a Tier 4 dependant visa to join them in the UK.

3. What are the eligibility requirements for an M.Sc. program in the UK for a US student?

The eligibility requirements may vary depending on the university and program, but generally, a US student will need to have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field and meet the English language proficiency requirements. Some programs may also require work experience or a specific GPA.

4. Are there any scholarships available for US students pursuing an M.Sc. in the UK?

Yes, there are scholarships available for US students pursuing an M.Sc. in the UK. These include government-funded scholarships, university-specific scholarships, and external scholarships offered by organizations and companies. It is important to research and apply for scholarships early as they are competitive.

5. What is the cost of living in the UK for a US student and their spouse?

The cost of living in the UK can vary depending on the location and lifestyle of the individual. Generally, the cost of living in cities like London can be higher compared to other cities. It is important to consider expenses such as accommodation, transportation, food, and healthcare when budgeting for the cost of living in the UK.