What are the best areas for a quant PhD with future employability?

• Thread starter TableChair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Phd
In summary, TableChair thinks that someone with a degree in physics and some programming experience would be a good candidate for a career in statistical physics. He recommends staying away from fields like particle physics and cosmology, which are very computer-intensive, and focusing on fields like statistical mechanics, mechanical engineering, or Lattice QCD.
TableChair
I'm considering applying for a phd, however I am not 100% sure that I will want to pursue an academic career, so I am trying to work out which areas would be best to work in such that I am employable afterwards.

Specifically I have been looking at possibly becoming a quant, and I was wondering which areas would be best. I imagine staying away from things like particle physics and cosmology is a good move, and trying to do something that would involve a reasonable amount of programming might help. However beyond that I am not really sure and would appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Statistical Physics with some MBA courses.

Hi TableChair,

Some people that i met when i was doing research in uni went to work in financial sector and they told me that the primary focus for quants modelling i.e. one must have a good knowledge in programming(obviously :smile: ), fluid mechanics, statistical mechanics and MC. The work is hard though, very competitive and stressful, but the salary is very high. You probably know that.

Those guys who went to work as quants had phds in astrophysics. I suppose any field that has relations with simulation and programming would be suitable eg Lattice QCD, computational fluid dynamics.

Right, well I was thinking of applying for phds in theory of condensed matter, so as long as it involved a significant amount of computation, it should be ok?

Anything that will get you in front of a computer. Cosmology. Condensed matter. Astrophysics. Mechanical engineering. Whatever. Particle physics and cosmology have a lot of computer intensive areas, which will work for quant jobs. The thing that you want to stay away from are "pencil and paper" jobs where you don't do programming.

Also anything that gets you involved in statistical analysis will be really useful, since this is a weak area for most physics Ph.D.

Also try to program in C++.

As far as hard, competitive and stressful. Yes, but no where near as hard, competitive and stressful as being junior faculty.

1. What is the best PhD area for a quant?

The best PhD area for a quant is typically a field that combines both quantitative skills and a specific industry or discipline. This could include fields such as finance, economics, data science, or computer science.

2. What skills are necessary for a PhD in quantitative research?

Some key skills necessary for a PhD in quantitative research include a strong background in math and statistics, programming skills, and the ability to think critically and analytically. Additionally, knowledge in a specific industry or field can also be beneficial.

3. What industries can a quant PhD work in?

A quant PhD can work in a variety of industries, including finance, economics, technology, healthcare, and government. Many companies and organizations value the analytical and problem-solving skills of a quant and may have positions available in various fields.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in a quant-related field?

The length of a PhD program can vary depending on the specific field, the individual's progress, and the requirements of the program. On average, a PhD in a quant-related field can take 4-6 years to complete.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a PhD in quantitative research?

Some common career opportunities for those with a PhD in quantitative research include roles in research and development, data analysis, risk management, consulting, and academia. These positions can be found in various industries and can offer opportunities for advancement and a high salary potential.