Civil engineering or mechanical engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's regret in choosing forestry and their decision to pursue engineering instead due to its good pay and job outlook. They are considering whether to study civil or mechanical engineering and are interested in mechatronics. They also inquire about the working conditions for both fields and ask for thoughts on which one to choose, given the current economic downturn. The person responding suggests looking at the BLS page on engineering and mentions other potential careers with an engineering degree. They also recommend looking at other posts in the forum for more guidance.
timhsu87
Hi,

Right now I am studying forest engineering at University of British Columbia but I am starting to regret choosing forestry since the industry is doing so bad. So I've decided to go into engineering since I am interested in it and it has good pay and good job outlook. But it is hard to decide whether to study civil or mechanical. I was interested in civil because I like buildings and structures but the downside is that I may have to relocate to find jobs, can only work in the construction industry, and the pay is not as good as mechanical. Mechanical on the other hand has more opportunities in various industries including manufacturing, car, airplane, etc, and there are more interesting projects to work on, and the pay is slightly higher. I am quite interested in mechatronics and I am wondering if mechanical would be a good choice in the long run.

Also, what is the working conditions like for civil or mechanical? Do I have to go to construction sites and get my hands dirty or go to machine shops and fix stuff?

Given the current economic downturn, it seems that it will better choice to go for mechanical than civil.

Would be happy to know what are your thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi timshu. Have you seen this thread further down the page: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=345515? There isn't one right choice for everyone. Civil is probably more restricting in terms of what you can do with it compared to mechanical, but both do a variety of things.

Most mechanical engineers will probably be doing more work with drawings etc than fixing machines. Manufacturing engineers usually deal with equipment on the floor, although mechanical engineers can often become manufacturing engineers if they choose to.

You might want to take a look at the BLS page on engineering: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm. Industrial production management is another option for mechanical engineers (and others): http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos016.htm. Civil engineers (and others) work as construction managers too: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos005.htm. There are a variety of other careers that one can have with an engineering degree, including jobs in finance, sales, consulting, etc.

We can probably be more helpful responding to more specific questions. I recommend you take a look at more of the posts in this forum and the academic guidance forum.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot provide personal opinions on career choices. However, I can provide information on the differences between civil and mechanical engineering and the working conditions for each.

Civil engineering deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the built environment, including buildings, roads, bridges, and other infrastructure. On the other hand, mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools.

In terms of job opportunities, both civil and mechanical engineering have a wide range of industries to work in. Civil engineers can work in construction, transportation, water resources, and environmental fields, while mechanical engineers can work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and energy. It ultimately depends on your interests and what type of projects you would like to work on.

In terms of working conditions, both civil and mechanical engineers may have to visit construction sites or machine shops depending on the project they are working on. However, this can vary depending on the specific job and industry. Both careers also require strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.

In regards to the current economic downturn, it is important to research the job market and demand for both civil and mechanical engineers in your area. It may also be beneficial to speak with professionals in the field or career counselors for more insight. Ultimately, the decision between civil and mechanical engineering should be based on your interests, skills, and future career goals.

1. What is the difference between civil engineering and mechanical engineering?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, buildings, and water systems. On the other hand, mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools.

2. Which field has better job opportunities, civil engineering or mechanical engineering?

Both fields have good job opportunities, but it ultimately depends on the current demand in the job market. Civil engineers are in high demand for infrastructure development projects, while mechanical engineers are needed in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in civil engineering or mechanical engineering?

Some essential skills for a career in civil engineering include problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management skills. Mechanical engineers should have strong analytical and technical skills, as well as a good understanding of mechanics and materials.

4. Can civil engineers work in the same industries as mechanical engineers?

While both fields have some overlap, civil engineers typically work in industries related to construction and infrastructure, while mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and energy.

5. What are some current challenges facing civil engineering and mechanical engineering?

Some current challenges in civil engineering include adapting to climate change, implementing sustainable practices, and managing aging infrastructure. Mechanical engineering faces challenges in developing new technologies, reducing environmental impacts, and meeting increasing demands for energy efficiency.