Is there a general formula for solving cubic equations?

• Thread starter dfitz1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation -2m2w3 + 15Bmw2 - 27B2 = 0 and the desire to solve for w. The question is asked if there is a general formula for solving cubic equations and the conversation concludes with a math handbook being referenced for the solution. There is also a discussion about a possible typo and a better version of the solution method being provided.
dfitz1000
Hi, I've been trying to solve this equation for hours no, hoping somebody here can help.
I have the equation: -2m2w3 + 15Bmw2 - 27B2 = 0

where m, B are unknown constants and I'm trying to solve for w. Is there a general formula for solving cubic equations?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
dfitz1000 said:
Is there a general formula for solving cubic equations?

Yes, there is. However, it is more complicated than the solution for a quadratic equation. You can look it up in a math handbook, or google it.

By the way, is your equation cubic? You show only powers [tex]w^2[/tex], but maybe you have a typo.

If you are trying to solve for w, all you need to do here is rearrange the terms no?

-2m2w2 + 15Bmw2 - 27B2 = 0

Add 27B2 to both sides

-2m2w2 + 15Bmw2 = 27B2

factor w2

w2 ( -2m2 + 15Bm) = 27B2

Divide by ( -2m2 + 15Bm) --- make sure it is not 0 you need to account for this.

w2 = 27B2 / (-2m2 + 15Bm)

Now take the square root of both sides...

dfitz1000 said:
Hi, I've been trying to solve this equation for hours no, hoping somebody here can help.
I have the equation: -2m2w2 + 15Bmw2 - 27B2 = 0

where m, B are unknown constants and I'm trying to solve for w. Is there a general formula for solving cubic equations?

Thanks in advance.
Is there a typo somewhere? The topic title suggests you want to know how to solve a cubic equation, but the equation you gave is quadratic in w.

Sorry, yes indeed there was a typo, the first term should have been cubed rather than squared.:redface:

dfitz1000 said:
Sorry, yes indeed there was a typo, the first term should have been cubed rather than squared.:redface:

Yes, I figured that was what is was supposed to be. There is a well know formula and procedure to solve cubic equations.

elect_eng said:
... There is a well know formula and procedure to solve cubic equations.

Here are a few pages from my math handbook on cubic solutions.

Attachments

• CubicSolution.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 363
Thanks elect_eng...the scan is quite hard to read but I think I got it...much appreciated.

dfitz1000 said:
Thanks elect_eng...the scan is quite hard to read but I think I got it...much appreciated.

Sorry about the poor resolution. I tried a higher resolution picture and it wouldn't upload. I'll try again tonight just to make sure that you have a good copy. I'll make two separate files - one for each page.

dfitz1000 said:

Sorry, I took longer than expected to post a better version. I don't know why I had trouble uploading PDFs because my files were smaller than the posted limit. To bypass this trouble, I just rewrote the method and generated my own PDF. This is not a bitmaped PDF, and is hence much smaller in size. It's now all on one page and this makes a nice handy reference sheet.

Attachments

• CubicSolution.pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. It is called a cubic equation because the highest power of x is 3.

2. How do you solve a cubic equation?

There are several methods to solve a cubic equation, such as using the rational root theorem, factoring, or using the cubic formula. The most commonly used method is the cubic formula, which involves finding the roots using a formula that includes all three coefficients of the equation.

3. Can all cubic equations be solved?

Yes, all cubic equations can be solved, either exactly or approximately. However, some equations may have complex or irrational solutions, which can make it difficult to find the exact solution.

4. What are the three possible solutions to a cubic equation?

A cubic equation can have three real solutions, one real solution and two complex solutions, or three complex solutions. The number and nature of the solutions depend on the coefficients of the equation and the discriminant, which is calculated using the coefficients.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving cubic equations?

Cubic equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. They can be used to model and solve real-world problems, such as determining the maximum volume of a box or predicting the trajectory of a projectile.