Shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates

In summary, when computing the shortest arc between two points (r,\theta) and (r',\theta') on a Euclidean plane \mathbb{R}^2 with ordinary inner product, the geodesic will always be a straight line, since the plane is flat and the shortest arcs are always straight lines. This can be found by converting the straight line connecting the two points in cartesian coordinates into polar coordinates.
mnb96
Hello,
If we consider a Euclidean plane [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] with the ordinary inner product, and we "distort" it through a cartesian->polar transformation, how should I compute the shortest arc between two points [tex](r,\theta)[/tex] and [tex](r',\theta')[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
mnb96 said:
Hello,
If we consider a Euclidean plane [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] with the ordinary inner product, and we "distort" it through a cartesian->polar transformation, how should I compute the shortest arc between two points [tex](r,\theta)[/tex] and [tex](r',\theta')[/tex] ?
What metric are you using on the polar plane?

I am using the metric I derived from the equations
[tex]x=r cos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]y=r sin(\theta)[/tex]

From those I got:

[tex]M = diag(1,r^2)[/tex]

I guess I'm not sure what you're looking for. The shortest arc will be the image of an honest straight line under the isometry.

Ok. I guess my original question was meaningless.
As far as I could understand, computing a shortest-arc length makes sense only on surfaces whose curvature changes locally. The [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] plane is flat, so the shortest arcs between two points are always straight lines.

Basically, all I have to do is to consider the straight line connecting the two points (in cartesian coordinates), and convert its parametric representation into polar coordinates.

Is this correct?

Computing geodesics is the same no matter what the metric does. It's just particularly easy here.

So yes, you're correct.

1. What is the shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates?

The shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates is the shortest distance between the two points when plotted on a polar coordinate system.

2. How is the shortest arc between two points calculated in polar coordinates?

The shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates is calculated using the formula s = √(r1² + r2² - 2r1r2cos(θ2-θ1)), where r1 and θ1 are the polar coordinates of the first point and r2 and θ2 are the polar coordinates of the second point.

3. Can the shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates be negative?

No, the shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates is always a positive value. This is because distance is always a positive quantity.

4. What is the significance of calculating the shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates?

Calculating the shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates is important in many fields, such as navigation, physics, and engineering. It allows for accurate measurement of distances and angles in a polar coordinate system.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates?

One limitation is that the shortest arc between two points in polar coordinates assumes a two-dimensional plane. In reality, the shortest distance between two points may involve crossing over obstacles or traveling through multiple dimensions.