Unbalanced Three-phase circuit.

In summary, the problem is that the authors were not able to get to the given answer of (64, 80.104º) using either of the two methods that they provided. They suggest that you might have done something wrong with your vector math.
jfierro
[SOLVED] Unbalanced Three-phase circuit.

Homework Statement

This comes from "practice problem" 12.10 from Alexander's and Sadiku's Fundamentals of Electric circuits 3rd edition, chapter 12.

The problem statement is:

"Find the line currents in the unbalanced three-phase circuit of Fig. 12.26 and the real power absorbed by the load."

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8428/circuits.png

Homework Equations

- LCK

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is I can't get to the shown answer. I have followed two methods:

Getting I_AB and I_CA from the known phase voltages:

I_AB = (220|0º) / (5|-90º)
I_CA = (220|-120º)/(10|0º)

And then doing I_a = I_AB - I_CA.

The second method is to construct a 3x3 matrix with complex coefficients based on the three meshes shown in the circuit. For those of you familiar with mathematica notation my matrix is:

LinearSolve[{{-5 I, 5 I, 0}, {5 I, 10 + 5 I, -10 I}, {0, -10 I, 10 I}}, {220, 0, -110 + Sqrt[3]*0.5*I}]

where I is the imaginary number and the first solution would be I_a.

Both methods yield 11 + 44.866i, far different from the listed result.

Any idea of how the authors got to (64, 80.1º)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just did exactly what you said using my beautiful vector-capable TI-89 and got the book's answer. I assume you did something wrong with your vector math.
I_AB = (220|0º) / (5|-90º) =(44|90º)
I_CA = (220|-120º)/(10|0º) = (22|-120º)
I_a = I_AB - I_CA = (44|90º) - (22|-120º) = (64|80.104º)

Hmm it was indeed a problem of my vector algebra ^_^u. I was doing them by hand and when getting the imaginary part of I_CA I did only sin(-120º) and not 22sin(-120º)...

I made the same mistake when constructing the matrix, the matrix should've been:

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} -5j & 5j & 0 \\ 5j & 10+5j & -10j \\ 0 & -10j & 10j \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} I_a\\ I_b\\ I_c \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 220 \\ 0\\ -110 + 220\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}j \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Since sin(120º) = 0.5sqrt{3}.

Thanks! :D

1. What is an unbalanced three-phase circuit?

An unbalanced three-phase circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the three phases (A, B, and C) have unequal voltage or current magnitudes. This can occur due to various factors such as uneven distribution of loads, faulty connections, or damaged components.

2. How does an unbalanced three-phase circuit affect power distribution?

An unbalanced three-phase circuit can cause uneven distribution of power, leading to overloading of certain phases and underutilization of others. This can result in increased energy losses and potentially damage to equipment.

3. What are the consequences of an unbalanced three-phase circuit?

An unbalanced three-phase circuit can cause voltage fluctuations, increased heat generation, and reduced power efficiency. It can also lead to equipment failures and downtime, resulting in financial losses.

4. How can an unbalanced three-phase circuit be detected?

An unbalanced three-phase circuit can be detected using a power quality analyzer, which measures the voltage and current of each phase and calculates the imbalances. Visual inspection and thermal imaging can also help identify any hotspots or damaged components.

5. How can an unbalanced three-phase circuit be corrected?

An unbalanced three-phase circuit can be corrected by redistributing the load among the three phases, repairing or replacing faulty connections or components, or installing voltage and current balancing devices. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help prevent and correct any imbalances.