Find Area Enclosed by Y-Axis, y=3 & x=y^2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area enclosed by the y-axis, the line y = 3, and the curve x = y^2. The solution involves using the formula for area under a curve to calculate the area as 9 square units. The conversation also touches on the concept of volumes of revolution and provides a reminder of the formula for calculating them. The final answer for the volume of the solid when rotated 360 degrees about the y-axis is determined to be 48.6 pi units cubed.
zebra1707

Homework Statement

Find the area enclosed by the y axis, the line y = 3 and the curve x = y^2

Homework Equations

[/b]3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]

Area = [tex]\int[/tex] 3 to 0 y^2.dy
= (1/3 y^3) 3 to 0
= (1/3 x 27)
= 9 sq units

Im not really confident on the y-axis questions, can you please confirm my understanding. If this same area is then rotated 360 degrees about the y -axis, can I seek guidence on how to do this. Cheers P

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did is correct. If you aren't comfortable with questions involving the y-axis, you can always change the question so it can be equivalently integrated with the x-axis. For example, x=y2 between y=3 and the y-axis has the same area as y=x2, x=3 and the x-axis :smile:

Do you know the formulae (or even better, derive the formulae) for volumes of revolution?

If y=f(x) is rotated about the x-axis between a and b, the volume is [tex]\pi\int_a^b\left(f(x)\right)^2dx[/tex]

Thanks Mentallic

Yes, I realize I know the volume formulae. I calculate the volume would be 48.6 units cube - do you mind checking?

Cheers P

Um, no. Show me your working and I'll point to where you went wrong.

Yeah exactly, so why are you saying it's 48.6 u3? Whatever happened to the [itex]\pi[/itex]? :tongue:

Mentallic said:
Yeah exactly, so why are you saying it's 48.6 u3? Whatever happened to the [itex]\pi[/itex]? :tongue:

Sorry, oooopppsss, can I say 48.6pi u3? I got the impression that I had gone horribly wrong. Manythanks for you responses.

Cheers P

Of course, all you did was convert the fraction to a decimal, so there's no point but yeah, sure I guess :tongue:

What is the equation for the graph of y=3?

The equation y=3 represents a horizontal line on the coordinate plane, passing through the y-axis at the point (0,3).

What does the graph of x=y^2 look like?

The graph of x=y^2 is a parabola that opens to the right and has its vertex at the origin (0,0). It intersects the y-axis at the point (0,0) and has a minimum value of 0.

How do I find the area enclosed by the y-axis, y=3, and x=y^2?

To find the area enclosed by the y-axis, y=3, and x=y^2, you need to first find the points of intersection between the two graphs. These points will be (0,0) and (3,3). Then, you can use the formula for finding the area under a curve, which is A = ∫b a f(x) dx, where b and a are the x-coordinates of the points of intersection and f(x) is the equation of the curve. In this case, the area would be A = ∫3 0 y^2 dy = 9 square units.

Can I use the same method to find the area enclosed by any two curves?

Yes, you can use the same method to find the area enclosed by any two curves. You just need to find the points of intersection and use the formula A = ∫b a(f(x) - g(x)) dx, where f(x) and g(x) are the equations of the two curves.

Is there a faster way to find the area enclosed by the y-axis, y=3, and x=y^2?

Yes, there is a faster way to find the area enclosed by the y-axis, y=3, and x=y^2. You can use the formula A = b*h, where b is the length of the base and h is the height. In this case, b = 3 and h = 3, so the area would be A = 3*3 = 9 square units.