Exploring Quantum Enigma: What Happens When We Observe?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment in Quantum Enigma where opening both boxes at the same time results in an interference pattern, while opening only one box does not. The question is posed about what would happen if a detector were placed inside both boxes and the recorded data were destroyed before or after opening the boxes. The conclusion is that destroying the data before it can leak into the environment is necessary to truly erase it.
lnsanity
I am reading Quantum Enigma on chapter 9 they do an experiment with 2 box if we open both box at same time we get an interference pastern of marble getting out and hitting the wall.

If we open only 1 box at a time the marble hit the wall and no interference pastern is found because the act of opening 1 box create the fact of the marble being inside 1 box or in the other box.

My question is what happen if I put detector inside both box that record where the marble but that recorded information stay in the box, then If I open both box at the same time will I get an interference pastern or not ? 9 I would think no since the detector have observed where the marble was ? Even if nobody as consciously checked the data ? So would not it mean that consciousness as nothing to do with the result only observation matter ? Unless someone say my detector have consciousness ?

What happen if i destroy my detector data after opening the box ?

What happen if i destroy my detector data before opening the box ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, there is a specific meaning of 'to destroy'
It is not enough to erase computer memory, or put it under buldozer, etc. Say, if you stored the result in computer memory, then some places of the memory chips have been slightly heated, and infrared radiation from them had already hit the wall, saving information there. Even we can't recover that information, it still there. So to erase you must destroy it before it leaked into the environment.

1. What is quantum enigma?

Quantum enigma refers to the mysterious and counterintuitive behavior of particles at the quantum level, which is the smallest scale of matter. It challenges our traditional understanding of physics and raises questions about the nature of reality.

2. How does observation affect quantum systems?

According to the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, observation is what causes a quantum system to collapse into a definite state. This means that the act of measuring or observing a particle can change its behavior and properties.

3. What is the role of consciousness in quantum mechanics?

There is ongoing debate and speculation about the role of consciousness in quantum mechanics. Some theories suggest that consciousness may play a part in the collapse of a quantum system, while others argue that it is irrelevant to the physical processes at the quantum level.

4. Can quantum entanglement be explained?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even if they are separated by large distances. While it is a well-established concept in quantum mechanics, there is still ongoing research and debate about how to explain it in a way that is intuitive to our classical understanding of the world.

5. What are the practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications in fields such as computing, cryptography, and imaging. For example, quantum computing has the potential to greatly improve computational power and speed, while quantum cryptography uses the principles of quantum mechanics to create secure communication systems.