Circuit: Total Energy into a component over interval

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total energy absorbed by an electric component from time t1 to t2. The equation for power is used to find the expression for the total energy, and a hint is given for evaluating the expression for a specific value of t2.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

The voltage at terminal a relative to terminal b of an electric component is given by [itex]v(t) = 20\cos(120\pi t)[/itex] Volts and the current into a is [itex]i(t) = -4\sin(120\pi t)[/itex] amps. Find 1) the total energy that flows into component from time t1 to t2 and 2) in particular find the energy absorbed when t2 = t1 + 1/15.

Homework Equations

Power = i(t)*v(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set Power = dE/dt = i(t)*v(t) and integrated to yield the final expression

[tex]\DeltaE_{t_1\rightarrow t_2} = \frac{1}{6\pi}\left[\cos(240\pi t)\right]_{t_1}^{t_2}\qquad(1)[/tex]

I believe that this expression takes care of part 1). However, for part 2), I am unclear on how to evaluate the expression from t1 to t1 + 1/15. This becomes:

[tex]\DeltaE_{t_1\rightarrow t_2} = \frac{1}{6\pi}\left[\cos(240\pi t_1+1/15) - \cos(240\pi t_1) \right][/tex]

Is there some sort of trig trick I a can use to evaluate this? Or somehow use the fact the a cosine function is periodic?

Just need a hint here :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
[tex]\DeltaE_{t_1\rightarrow t_2} = \frac{1}{6\pi}\left[\cos({\color{red}240\pi t_1+1/15}) - \cos(240\pi t_1) \right][/tex]
Maybe it's just a typo within LaTeX, but you didn't multiply through the 240π quite correctly.
Is there some sort of trig trick I a can use to evaluate this? Or somehow use the fact the a cosine function is periodic?

Just need a hint here :smile:
Here's a hint: Note that

[tex] \cos (\omega t + \theta) = \frac{e^{j(\omega t + \theta)} + e^{-j( \omega t + \theta)}}{2} [/tex]

Try to express your equation exponentially. You'll be able to pull out a complex exponential (that's not a function of t1), and functions as a complex constant. Recalling that [itex] e^{j \theta} = \cos \theta + j \sin \theta [/tex], the whole thing can be reduced in this particular problem.

1. What is total energy in a circuit?

Total energy in a circuit refers to the sum of all forms of energy, including potential energy and kinetic energy, within the circuit at a given point in time. This energy is constantly being exchanged and transformed within the components of the circuit.

2. How is total energy calculated in a circuit?

The total energy in a circuit can be calculated by multiplying the voltage across a component by the current through the component over a specific interval of time. This calculation is known as the Joule's Law equation: E = V x I x t.

3. Why is it important to consider total energy in a circuit?

Total energy in a circuit is important because it helps us understand the efficiency and performance of the circuit. By analyzing the total energy, we can determine if there are any energy losses or inefficiencies within the circuit, and make necessary adjustments to improve its functioning.

4. How does the total energy in a circuit affect its components?

The total energy in a circuit affects its components by providing the energy needed for them to function. If the total energy is too high, it can lead to overheating and damage to the components. Conversely, if the total energy is too low, the components may not function properly or at all.

5. Can the total energy in a circuit be increased?

Yes, the total energy in a circuit can be increased by increasing either the voltage or the current or both. However, it is important to note that increasing the total energy in a circuit can also lead to increased energy losses, heat generation, and potential damage to the components.