Proving the lim as n goes to infinity of a function = 2

In summary, to prove that the limit as n goes to infinity of a certain function is 2, we must show that for any given epsilon, there exists a number N such that if n>N, then the absolute value of the difference between the function and 2 is less than epsilon. The specific method for showing this depends on the function, but in general, we can choose N to be greater than 1 plus 2 over epsilon and use synthetic proof to demonstrate the contradiction.
Rubik
I am unsure as to how to prove a that as the limit as n goes to inifinity of a certain function the answer is 2.. I am trying to use the definition of a limit and using [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and N - argument to get a contradiction in order to solve the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as I do not know the specific function, the only thing I can say is "use the definition".

To prove that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty} f(n)= 2[/itex], show that, given any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist a number, N, such that if n>N, then [itex]|f(n)- 2|< \epsilon[/itex].

Again, exactly how you show that that is true depends upon the particular function. For example, if the function were
[tex]f(n)= \frac{2n}{n- 1}[/tex]
Then I would need to make
[tex]\left|\frac{2n}{n-1}- 2\right|= \left|2-\frac{2}{n-1}- 2\right|= \left|\frac{2}{n-1}\right|< \epsilon[/tex]

For n> 1, that is the same as
[tex]n- 1> \frac{2}{\epsilon}[/tex]
or
[tex]n> 1+ \frac{2}{\epsilon}[/tex].

Now, for any given finite number, [itex]\epsilon[/itex], I can certainly choose a specific N and use that. Strictly speaking the proof would go the other way: Having chosen
[tex]N> 1+ \frac{2}{\epsilon}[/tex]
if n> N, then
[tex]n> 1+ \frac{2}{\epsilon}[/tex]
so that
[tex]n- 1> \frac{2}{\epsilon}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{n-1}< \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{n-1}< \epsilon[/tex]
etc.

Because each step in working from
[tex]\left|\frac{2n}{n-1}- 2\right|< \epsilon[/tex]
to
[tex]n> 1+ \frac{2}{\epsilon}[/tex]
was invertible we can "work backwards" and so that is not typically shown. This is often referred to as "synthetic proof".

1. What does it mean to prove the limit of a function as n goes to infinity equals 2?

Proving the limit of a function as n goes to infinity equals 2 means showing that as the input variable n approaches infinity, the output of the function approaches the value of 2.

2. Why is proving the limit of a function important?

Proving the limit of a function is important because it helps determine the behavior of the function as the input variable approaches infinity. This information is useful in many areas of science and mathematics, such as in calculating areas under curves or predicting patterns in data.

3. How is the limit of a function as n goes to infinity calculated?

The limit of a function as n goes to infinity can be calculated by evaluating the function at increasingly larger values of n and observing the trend of the outputs. If the outputs approach a specific value, then that value is the limit. Alternatively, mathematical techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem can also be used to prove the limit.

4. What are the conditions for proving the limit of a function as n goes to infinity?

The conditions for proving the limit of a function as n goes to infinity are that the function must be defined for all values of n, the limit must exist (i.e. the outputs must approach a specific value), and the limit must be the same regardless of the direction in which n approaches infinity.

5. Can the limit of a function as n goes to infinity be a value other than 2?

Yes, the limit of a function as n goes to infinity can be any real number or even infinity. It depends on the behavior of the function as n approaches infinity. If the outputs approach a specific value, that value is the limit. If the outputs increase or decrease without bound, then the limit is infinity or negative infinity.