Laurent series in complex functions

In summary, if you have a function that is analytic completely around a point, you can expand it in a Taylor series. If you have singularities, you can expand the function around the singularities in a Laurent series.
y.moghadamnia
hey there,
I just studied the whole taylor and laurent series, and I think I mixed them up alittle.so here's what I know:
- if we have a contor in which our f(z) is analytic completely, we can expand it in taylor series.
- if we have singularities, we can expand the functions around the singularities in laurent series.
now, suppose we have a funcion that we want to expand around some point. what formula exactly we should use? the integrals? the [tex]\Sigma[/tex] s?
suppose for example the function f(z)=exp(z).
what is the taylor expansion of that?
- can anyone give me some hard example and solve it?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for f(x)= exp(z), you just said it didn't you? exp(z) is analytic for all z so it can be exended in a Taylor's series for any a: around z= a,
[tex]e^z= \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e^a}{n!}(z- a)^n[/tex]

The function [itex]f(x)= e^z/(z- 1)[/itex] is analytic everywhere except at z= 1. To find its Laurent series, about z= 1, take the Taylor's series for [itex]e^z[/itex] around z= 1,
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e}{n!}(z- 1)^n[/tex]
and divide each term by z- 1:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{e}{n!}(z- 1)^{n-1}[/tex]
which can be written as
[tex]\sum_{m=-1}^\infty \frac{e}{((m+1)!}(z-a)^m[/tex]
which is a Laurent series because it contains negative powers,
by letting m= n- 1.

thanx for the nice example which I completely understood, but I still feel like my knowledge on this subject is a bit bald! can u suggest me anything good to read? I have had churchill complex analysis and it was o.k, but I think I need more examples.

i like the complex books by frederick greenleaf, by henri cartan, and by serge lang.

What is a Laurent series in complex functions?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of powers of z, where z is a complex variable, including negative powers.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Laurent series?

A Taylor series only includes positive powers of z, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers of z. Additionally, a Taylor series is centered around a single point, while a Laurent series can be centered at any point within the function's domain.

How do you find the Laurent series of a complex function?

The Laurent series of a complex function can be found by using the formula: f(z) = ∑(n=0 to ∞) cn(z-a)^n + ∑(n=1 to ∞) dn(z-a)^(-n), where a is the center point and cn and dn are coefficients.

What is the region of convergence for a Laurent series?

The region of convergence for a Laurent series is the set of all points within the complex plane for which the series converges. This region can be determined by using the ratio test or the root test.

What is the significance of a singularity in a Laurent series?

A singularity in a Laurent series represents a point where the function is undefined. This can occur when there is a pole in the function, meaning a value of z where the function becomes infinite. The behavior of the function near a singularity can provide insight into the overall behavior of the function.