Spinning Light: How Does it Work With No Mass?

• Thread starter MNC007
  • Start date
In summary, Imagine a glass sphere container. You took all the air inside so you have vacuum. Inside you have a very thin metal sheet that is mounted on an equator axis, so it is allowed to rotate. If you expose the mecanism to ligth it will spin...What´s happening? howcome it spins if the photon doesn´t have mass?I think it is heat energy that causes the thing to spin.
MNC007
Imagine a glass sphere container. You took all the air inside so you have vacuum. Inside you have a very thin metal sheet that is mounted on an equator axis, so it is allowed to rotate. If you expose the mecanism to ligth it will spin...What´´s happening? howcome it spins if the photon doesn´t have mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is heat energy that causes the thing to spin.

It may be that one side has to be colored darker then the other to cause it to spin.

Not sure if we are thinking of the same apparatus.

Welcome to PF!

Hi MNC007! Welcome to PF! :wink:
MNC007 said:
howcome it spins if the photon doesn´t have mass?

The photon has momentum, which is all that is needed …

in principle, you could sail a spacecraft away from the Sun relying on "light pressure". :smile:

(btw, any such device probably still has enough air inside for there to be currents, or even for pressure from air on the hot side to be enough to turn it)

nitsuj said:
I think it is heat energy that causes the thing to spin.

It may be that one side has to be colored darker then the other to cause it to spin.

Not sure if we are thinking of the same apparatus.

i think so... but in order to be a thermal mechanism it could only be convection and for that you would need air.

cool, I never thought of heat like that. heat is a "state" not something on it's own.

I can see now that in a true vaccum, heat would have nothing to do with it.

I guess mass and momentum aren't directly related in the sense I thought.

I thought momentum was a consiquence of mass & velocity. Perhaps it is just a consiquence of velocity.

welcome to pf!

hi nitsuj! welcome to pf! :smile:
nitsuj said:
… I thought momentum was a consiquence of mass & velocity. Perhaps it is just a consiquence of velocity.

momentum isn't a consequence of anything, momentum just is

momentum is 3 of the 4 coordinates of the energy-momentum of a body

photons are created with energy and momentum already installed and running :wink:

Hi tiny-tim, Thanks!
so... a massless particle can have momentum. i thougth the sailing example only apllied to sun wind (ie sun particles) and not light... i think i´ve got it but i´m still kinda confused. my phisics are pretty basic..

MNC007 said:
Hi tiny-tim, Thanks!
so... a massless particle can have momentum. i thougth the sailing example only apllied to sun wind (ie sun particles) and not light... i think i´ve got it but i´m still kinda confused. my phisics are pretty basic..

Please start by reading the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

Hi tiny-tim, Thanks!

Yep, we actually have a spacecraft that has already used this method of propulsion, the IKAROS spacecraft .
See here for more info on the Solar Sail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

My guess is that you're referring to Crookes radiometers. The internal movement is due to the molecules in a particle (not full) vacuum) flowing from the cooler brighter sides of the vanes to the hotter darker sides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer

rcgldr said:
My guess is that you're referring to Crookes radiometers. The internal movement is due to the molecules in a particle (not full) vacuum) flowing from the cooler brighter sides of the vanes to the hotter darker sides.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer

That´s it! So the reason it moves is because it is not in a perfect vaccuum... It still has enougth air for the convection effect. Probably the same experience with perfect vacuum would not work... unless the photons had enough momentum to move it.

1. How can light have no mass but still spin?

Light does not have mass in the traditional sense, meaning it does not have physical matter. It is made up of energy and has properties of both waves and particles. The spinning of light refers to its angular momentum, which is a measure of its rotation. This rotation does not require mass to occur.

2. What causes light to spin?

The spinning of light is caused by its polarization, which is the direction in which its electric and magnetic fields oscillate. When light is polarized, it means that these fields are aligned in a specific direction, resulting in the rotation of the light's angular momentum.

3. Can all types of light spin?

Yes, all types of light can spin. This includes visible light, as well as other forms of electromagnetic radiation such as radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays. However, the amount of spin can vary depending on the wavelength and polarization of the light.

4. How is the spinning of light measured?

The spinning of light is measured using a property called spin angular momentum. This is a mathematical quantity that describes the amount of rotation and direction of the light's spin. It is typically measured using specialized instruments, such as polarimeters, which can analyze the polarization of light.

5. What practical applications does the spinning of light have?

The spinning of light has several practical applications in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and quantum mechanics. For example, polarized light is used in 3D glasses and LCD displays, while the spin of photons (particles of light) is important in quantum computing and cryptography. Understanding the spinning of light also allows scientists to study the properties of matter and the nature of the universe.