Direction of Induced Current in a Small Loop Inside a Solenoid

In summary, the small loop of wire has an induced emf due to the current in the solenoid. The current in the solenoid is decreasing, so the emf induced in the small loop is in the same direction as the current in the solenoid.
SaraF

Homework Statement

This is a question from the Princeton Review of AP physics B, 2011 edition. A small circular loop of wire (radius r) is placed on an insulating stand inside a hollow solenoid of radius R. The solenoid has n turns per unit length and carries a counterclockwise current I. (The magnetic field within the solenoid is shown as pointing into the plane of the page.) If the current in the solenoid is decreased at a steady rate of a amps per second, determine the induced emf and the direction of the induced current in the loop.

Homework Equations

B = uonI. E = -d(BA)/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined the equation for the EMF induced in the small loop correctly. I had a problem with the direction of the current. By the right hand rule, the current should be clockwise, and that is the text's correct answer. However, by the same right hand rule, I would expect the counterclockwise current in the solenoid to produce a magnetic field pointing out of the plane of the page, not into it.
Initially, I thought that the current in the small loop would be counterclockwise, because that is the direction specified for the current in the solenoid. Since the solenoid current is decreasing, the current induced in the ring would oppose that decrease, and therefore be in the same direction as the current in the solenoid, ccw. Now I am confused as to how a ccw current in the solenoid could even produce a magnetic field pointing into the plane of the page, as that conflicts with the right hand rule. I'm hoping that someone can clear up this confusion for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
the answer will be Counter-clockwise, if the current is decreasing.

Thanks, I wondered if that was the case. But that implies that a decreasing clockwise current is the same as a counterclockwise current. That is hard to reconcile with the image of electrons moving through a wire...one pictures a decreased "flow" rate but no change in direction. I realize that the flow of electric current in a wire is not really the flow of electrons from point A to point B (given the collisions between electrons and atomic nuclei, etc)...so that makes we want to understand better what is happening when electric current flows through wires. I wonder about the relation between induced current (requires change of magnetic field) and the magnetic field created by a "steady" current in a wire. Is there, actually, something changing in the current that "induces" a magnetic field? (i.e. is there some sort of reciprocity between electric current and magnetic field that works both ways?)

you would need to study maxwell's equations to understand it. also study about electron drift.

Thanks. I will do so. I figured that electron drift had something to do with it.

1. What is the direction of induced current?

The direction of induced current is determined by the direction of the changing magnetic field and the orientation of the conductor. According to Faraday's law of induction, the induced current flows in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the original magnetic field.

2. How is the direction of induced current determined?

The direction of induced current is determined by the right-hand rule. If the conductor is held in the right hand with the thumb pointing in the direction of the changing magnetic field, the curled fingers will point in the direction of the induced current.

3. Does the direction of induced current depend on the strength of the magnetic field?

No, the direction of induced current does not depend on the strength of the magnetic field. It only depends on the direction of the changing magnetic field and the orientation of the conductor.

4. Can the direction of induced current be reversed?

Yes, the direction of induced current can be reversed by changing the direction of the changing magnetic field or by reversing the orientation of the conductor. This will result in a current that creates a magnetic field in the opposite direction, thus opposing the change in the original magnetic field.

5. How does the direction of induced current affect electrical devices?

The direction of induced current can have various effects on electrical devices. In some cases, it can cause damage if the current is too strong, while in other cases it can be used to power devices through electromagnetic induction. It is important for engineers and scientists to consider the direction of induced current when designing and using electrical devices.