Work: an object falls onto a spring. Find max. dist. the spring is compressed.

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the maximum distance a spring is compressed when a block of mass 2.4 kg is dropped from a height of 59 cm onto it. The correct approach is to use conservation of energy and solve a quadratic equation, resulting in a maximum compression of 0.170m.
DavidAp
Until I learn to walk my name might pop up a lot in this thread...

A block of mass m = 2.4 kg is dropped from height h = 59 cm onto a spring of spring constant k = 1240 N/m. Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

Answer: 0.170m

The first thing I did was convert the height from centimeters to meters so that all the units could work nicely together giving me 0.59 m.

Then I found Work using mgrCos(theta).
W = mgrCos(theta)
W = 2.4 kg(9.8 m/(s^2))(0.59 m)Cos(0)
W = 13.8768 J

After I played around with a more general equation of Work.
W = ΔK + ΔU
W = Kf - Ki + Uf - Ui

However, since the spring is in equilibrium before the block falls on it, conceptually, I saw that the Ui should equal to zero so my equation is,
W = Kf - Ki +Uf

And we know that Ki = 1240 N/m so,
W = Kf - 1240 N/m + Uf
W = 1/2m(v^2) - 1240 N/m + mgy

13.8768 J = 1/2(2.4 kg)(Vf^2) - 1240 N/m + 2.4 kg(9.8 m/(s^2))(y)
Now, I wrote Vf because it's an unknown and though I think there is a way to solve it using Work I went on to use a kinematic equation because I'm still very new to Work and have not yet learned how to do that.
Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2aΔy
Vf^2 = 9.8 m/(s^2)(0.59 m)
Vf^2 = 11.564 m/s

Back to my equation,
13.8768 J = 1/2(2.4 kg)(11.564 m/2) - 1240 N/m + 23.52 N(y)
13.8768 J = 13.8768 J - 1240 N/m + 23.52 N(y)
0 = -1240 N/m + 23.52 N(y)
1240 N/m = 23.52 N(y)
52.72 /m = y
As you can see something went horribly wrong! I'm new to Work but I felt pretty confident approaching this problem until I got to the end. Not only is my answer numerically incorrect but the units seem impossible; nothing over meters?

Can somebody help show me what I did wrong with this question? I'm sorry if it was difficult to follow, mathematics on text always seems like a puzzle to me.

Thank you for taking the time to review my question, I greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think u r wrong at taking the height that the object falls as 0.59m. actually the height should be 0.59 +x, where x is the compression of the spring. at that point there is no KE. so, the relevant eqn. should be (from conservation of energy),
mg(h+x) = 1/2 kx2.
this is a quadratic eqn. in x. now solve for x, if u know how to solve a quadratic eqn.

bjd40@hotmail.com said:
i think u r wrong at taking the height that the object falls as 0.59m. actually the height should be 0.59 +x, where x is the compression of the spring. at that point there is no KE. so, the relevant eqn. should be (from conservation of energy),
mg(h+x) = 1/2 kx2.
this is a quadratic eqn. in x. now solve for x, if u know how to solve a quadratic eqn.
Thank you, you are absolutely right! The math is so much shorter this way too!

1. What is the equation for finding the maximum distance a spring is compressed when an object falls on it?

The equation for finding the maximum distance a spring is compressed is: x = (m*g) / k, where x is the maximum distance, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and k is the spring constant.

2. How does the mass of the object affect the maximum compression of the spring?

The mass of the object directly affects the maximum compression of the spring. As the mass increases, the maximum compression also increases, since there is more force acting on the spring.

3. What is the role of the spring constant in determining the maximum compression of the spring?

The spring constant, represented by the letter k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is harder to compress, and therefore, the maximum compression will be less compared to a spring with a lower spring constant.

4. Can the maximum compression of a spring be negative?

No, the maximum compression of a spring cannot be negative. The maximum compression represents the furthest the spring can be compressed from its original position, which is always a positive value.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect the maximum compression of the spring?

The acceleration due to gravity, represented by the letter g, also plays a role in determining the maximum compression of the spring. As the acceleration due to gravity increases, the maximum compression also increases, since there is more force pulling the object down onto the spring.