Integration by parts, help me understand why the integration limits changed.

In summary, the student is working on problem 5.6 #27 in the Stewart text 3rd E and is struggling with understanding why the integration limits changed after a given substitution was made. They eventually realize that the substitution involves squaring the variable, which removes the square root sign from the original limits of integration.
truman

Homework Statement

I am doing self-study. I am on problem 5.6 #27 in the Stewart text 3rd E.

I don't understand why the integration limits changed after the given substitution.

The given substitution was:

x=θ^2 dx=2θdθ

Homework Equations

Please see attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the substitution, and how theta sq became 2theta d theta. What I don't understand is, why when the x was substituted, the integration limits changed from a square root to no square root.

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
The original limits of integration are from [itex]\theta= \sqrt{\pi/2}[/itex] to [itex]\theta= \sqrt{\pi}[/itex]. With [itex]x= \theta^2[/itex] they become [itex]x= (\sqrt{\pi/2})^2= \pi/2[/itex] and [itex]x= (\sqrt{\pi})^2= \pi[/itex].

Yes, I see. You have to substitute in the variable and then it's squared, removing the square root sign.

Brain fart. Thank you!

1. How does integration by parts work?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to solve integrals of the form ∫uv dx. It involves rewriting the integral in a different form so that it is easier to solve. The formula for integration by parts is ∫uv dx = u∫v dx - ∫u'∫v dx, where u is a function that can be easily differentiated, v is a function that can be easily integrated, and u' is the derivative of u.

2. Why do the integration limits change when using integration by parts?

The integration limits change when using integration by parts because the integral is being rewritten in a different form. This means that the original limits are no longer applicable and new ones must be used to solve the integral in its new form.

3. Can you provide an example of integration by parts?

One example of integration by parts is solving the integral ∫xe^x dx. Using the formula, we can rewrite the integral as x∫e^x dx - ∫1∫e^x dx. The first integral can be solved using the power rule, while the second integral can be solved using integration by parts again. This results in the final answer of xe^x - e^x + C.

4. When is integration by parts most useful?

Integration by parts is most useful when dealing with integrals involving products of functions, such as ∫xsin(x) dx or ∫ln(x) dx. These types of integrals are difficult to solve using other methods, but can be simplified using integration by parts.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration by parts?

Yes, there are limitations to using integration by parts. It can only be used to solve integrals involving products of functions, and it may not always result in a simpler integral. In some cases, integration by parts may need to be repeated multiple times to fully solve the integral.