Surface area of a beaker of water w/ surface tension?

In summary, the speaker is working on a chemistry lab involving Avogadro's constant and a fatty acid monolayer on water. Their calculations are a sixth of what they should be due to a large curve in the water's surface caused by filling it until it spilled over. The speaker is unsure of how to account for this in the lab guidelines and is seeking a formula to calculate the maximum surface area of water, taking into account the effects of surface tension. They believe this may be the only error that can be fixed in their report. Another person in the conversation offers a guesstimate that the surface tension will not significantly affect the results.
BCarlson85508
So I'm working on a chemistry lab determining Avogadro's constant with a fatty acid monolayer on a beaker of water, and my calculations are all work out to around 1.3*10^23 (ie a sixth of what they should be). The lab said "fill the beaker with water until it spills over". In doing so, I ended up with a large curve in the surface of the water. However, the lab guidelines don't explain any way to account for that (I assume they wanted the water at 90° to the beaker).

Does anyone know of a formula to find the maximum surface area of water that includes the effects of surface tension? The surface tension is the only error I can think of that can be fixed in my report (other stuff, like adding too many drops stearic acid I'm stuck with...).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea about formula, but my guesstimate is that it won't change the surface by more than small single percents (if not even less). No chances for getting your result really closer to NA.

1. What is the surface area of a beaker of water?

The surface area of a beaker of water refers to the total area of the water's surface. This includes the top and sides of the water that come into contact with the air. It is typically measured in square units such as square centimeters or square inches.

2. How is the surface area of a beaker of water calculated?

The surface area of a beaker of water can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the water's surface. For example, if the beaker has a length of 10 cm and a width of 5 cm, the surface area would be 50 square cm.

3. What is surface tension and how does it affect the surface area of a beaker of water?

Surface tension is the force that causes the molecules at the surface of a liquid to be pulled together. This can create a "skin" on the surface of the water, making the surface area appear smaller than it actually is. This is why droplets of water can form on surfaces instead of spreading out.

4. Does the surface area of a beaker of water change with temperature?

Yes, the surface area of a beaker of water can change with temperature. As temperature increases, the molecules in the water gain more energy and move around more, causing the surface area to expand. This is why water levels in beakers may appear to rise as the water warms up.

5. How does the surface area of a beaker of water affect the rate of evaporation?

The surface area of a beaker of water can affect the rate of evaporation. A larger surface area means there is more space for water molecules to escape into the air, increasing the rate of evaporation. This is why shallow containers of water tend to evaporate faster than deep containers.