Reaction pathway of (di)chloramine and sodium carbonate

In summary, the reaction between chloramine or dichloramine and sodium carbonate can result in various products depending on the specific reactants used. These products may include sodium chloride, carbon dioxide, nitric oxide, water, sodium hypochlorite, and diatomic molecules of nitrogen or hydrogen. The carbonate is likely to play a role in modifying the pH of the reaction. It is possible that other pathways may exist, but they may not be as viable.
Rotor
Hello, just wondering what would be produced when chloramine and dichloramine is introduced to sodium carbonate. In a reaction including dichloramine I can't decide whether the reaction would proceed as the following:

NHCl2 + Na2CO3 ---> 2NaCl + CO2 + NO + H

Or

NHCl2 + NaCO3 ---> NaCl + CO2 + NaOCl + N

When using chloramine:

NH2Cl + Na2CO3 ---> NaCl + NaOH + CO2 + H + N

There were other pathways I could think of, but did not see them as viable.

When a lone nitrogen or hydrogen is produced I assume they form diatomic molecules, not reacting with anything else.

I may be completely wrong on all of this, feel free to correct.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Check out this link. While it doesn't say anything about reaction with a carbonate, my bet is that the carbonate will be mostly responsible for modifying pH, otherwise it will be just a hydrolysis.

What is the reaction pathway of (di)chloramine and sodium carbonate?

The reaction pathway of (di)chloramine and sodium carbonate involves a series of steps in which the two compounds interact and form new substances. This pathway can be broken down into four main stages: initiation, propagation, termination, and product formation.

What is the role of (di)chloramine in this reaction?

(Di)chloramine acts as the oxidizing agent in this reaction, meaning it donates electrons to other substances in order to create new chemical bonds. It is the driving force behind the reaction and is essential for the formation of the final products.

What is the purpose of using sodium carbonate in this reaction?

Sodium carbonate, also known as washing soda, serves as a source of carbonate ions in this reaction. These ions help to neutralize the acidic nature of (di)chloramine and facilitate the formation of the final products. Additionally, sodium carbonate can act as a buffering agent, helping to maintain a consistent pH throughout the reaction.

What are the products of this reaction?

The products of the reaction between (di)chloramine and sodium carbonate depend on the specific conditions and concentrations used. However, common products include sodium hypochlorite (bleach), sodium chlorate, and sodium chloride. These products are important in various industrial and household applications.

How does temperature affect the reaction pathway of (di)chloramine and sodium carbonate?

Temperature can greatly impact the rate and overall outcome of the reaction between (di)chloramine and sodium carbonate. Generally, higher temperatures will increase the rate of the reaction and result in a higher yield of products. However, excessively high temperatures can also cause unwanted side reactions or even decomposition of the compounds.