New Forum: Science Fiction Media

In summary, mid next week "Skepticism & Debunking" will be removed and all threads will be placed in GD, along with the "Product Claims" forum. This decision was made due to numerous guideline violations and a decrease in productivity. In place of S&D, a new "Science Fiction Media" forum will be added, with a sub-forum for writers. This change was well received by the community and has been implemented early. The new forum is expected to attract a lot of traffic from science fiction writers. The decision to remove S&D was a difficult one, but necessary for maintaining the high level of discussion on the forum. The new forum has already gained positive feedback from members and has been
We are announcing that mid next week "Skepticism & Debunking" will be removed. All threads will be placed in GD. The "Product Claims" forum will be spared and temporarily placed in GD as well. Over the past year we noticed many threads being locked due to guideline violations. So much so that it made the forum unproductive.

In it's place we are adding a "Science Fiction Media" forum. It will house all the discussions about Sci-Fi books, movies, tv shows, comics... and a sub forum for writers!

Look for it next week!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds great!

Can't wait :biggrin:

1233_hand_clapping.gif

Can't wait for it!

Cool.

Science fiction. Nice. I lose though. My guess was that the next new forum would be Greatest Physicist Polls forum.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Science fiction. Nice. I lose though. My guess was that the next new forum would be Greatest Physicist Polls forum.

I thought that was the "official" name for the general forum...

Writers and science fiction? Excellent!

Just my kind of forum! :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
We are announcing that mid next week "Skepticism & Debunking" will be removed. All threads will be placed in GD. The "Product Claims" forum will be spared and temporarily placed in GD as well. Over the past year we noticed many threads being locked due to guideline violations. So much so that it made the forum unproductive.

PF has stipulated that there are legitimate mysteries, like UFOs. Where would these now be discussed?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Dotini said:
PF has stipulated that there are legitimate mysteries, like UFOs. Where would these now be discussed?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Likely not for long ;)

I like it!

I had no idea the Forum got that many hits from sci-fi writers. Pretty cool!

Funny thing but the first time I glanced at the title of the thread I thought you had inaugurated a science fiction medal...

chemisttree said:

Neither did I actually! It was a good suggestion by micromass!

Nice one. Now the site is even more dull and cosy.

PeterJ said:

Just the way we like it!

Zz.

I don't think you mean that. Or I hope not.

Is there any rationale why scifi is a subforum of the lounge, whereas PW&A, photo stuff and games, etc, etc are subforums of General Discussion?

Andre said:
Is there any rationale why scifi is a subforum of the lounge, whereas PW&A, photo stuff and games, etc, etc are subforums of General Discussion?

One is within the realm of science, the others arguably aren't. Also we don't want to disrupt the feel and organization of the community when we took out S&D.

PeterJ said:

PeterJ said:
I don't think you mean that. Or I hope not.
Rhetoric really does intrigue me. If you think discussing and teaching mainstream science (and for that matter certain forums in the lounge) is dull and cosy (as though cosy was a negative) then why are you here? S&D was an attractor for crackpottery and that's simply not what we do here. There are plenty of other places that allow it.

I love the new forum.

S&D was always a difficult forum. I ran it for eight years and the staff ran it for almost another year and a half. It was always a struggle to raise the level off discussion to something worthy of the PF. I think for a number of years the forum was mostly respectable, productive, and often interesting, but the amount of work required for a volunteer staff is just too much. It is a magnet for problems. In the end I couldn't take it any more and neither could the staff. As much as I hate to see it go, I can completely understand the decision to call it quits. With that, I thought this was the perfect last post for S&D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG6b3V2MNxQ

My post count increased when I made a post there. Is it supposed to?

Fredrik said:
My post count increased when I made a post there. Is it supposed to?

Fixed, thanks

chemisttree said:

Funny thing but the first time I glanced at the title of the thread I thought you had inaugurated a science fiction medal...

Greg Bernhardt said:
Neither did I actually! It was a good suggestion by micromass!

What a nice change. Give micromass a medal. :cool:

Erm... I'm guilty of getting every single post that I posted in that forum infracted by a mod. :S

YAY! I was just about to restart Raymond Feist's "Magician" and "Riftwar" series.

1. What is "New Forum: Science Fiction Media"?

"New Forum: Science Fiction Media" is a platform for discussing and sharing all things related to science fiction in various forms of media, including books, movies, TV shows, video games, and more.

2. Who can participate in "New Forum: Science Fiction Media"?

Anyone with an interest in science fiction media can participate in the forum. It is open to all individuals, regardless of their background or level of expertise.

3. How do I join "New Forum: Science Fiction Media"?

To join the forum, simply create an account by providing your name, email address, and a unique username. Once your account is created, you can start participating in discussions and sharing your thoughts on science fiction media.

4. Can I post my own science fiction content on the forum?

Yes, you can share your own science fiction content on the forum, such as your own short stories, fan theories, or reviews of science fiction media. However, please make sure to follow the forum's guidelines and rules.

5. How can I contribute to "New Forum: Science Fiction Media"?

There are various ways to contribute to the forum, such as starting new discussions, sharing interesting articles or news related to science fiction media, and engaging in discussions with other members. You can also provide feedback and suggestions for improving the forum.