2D Fourier Transform on a non-rectangular space

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of performing a Fourier transform on a non-rectangular area, specifically for creating a linear zoom function with no pixelation. The proposed approach involves using a frustum from an ovular elliptical cone and generating a Fourier transform from an oval-bound ellipse-bound section of the image. The transform would then be extended with additional null high frequencies and applied in an inverse manner on a pixel-by-pixel basis. The desired algorithm is a variation of the EDFT (Elliptic Discrete Fourier Transform) which loops from the perimeter to the center. A comprehensive explanation and example implementation of the EDFT algorithm is needed. The use of a 3D transform for other shapes is also mentioned.
tanus5
2D Fourier Transform on a non-rectangular area

Is it possible to perform a Fourier transform on a shape instead of a rectangular region? To be specific I am attempting to make a linear zoom function that doesn't produce any pixelation and that mimics natural blur that occurs with distance. After sketching the problem in Blender it seems that the best approach would be to utilize a frustum from an [STRIKE]ovular[/STRIKE] elliptical cone, generate a Fourier transform from an [STRIKE]oval-bound[/STRIKE] ellipse-bound section of the image, and extend the transform with additional null high frequencies to produce multiple pixels from a single pixel (or strip off high frequencies for zoom-out). Finally I would apply an inverse transform. This operation would be performed on a pixel-by-pixel basis for each pixel of the final image. As good as this may sound I'm not familiar with a Fourier transform on anything other than rectangular area. Can anyone suggest a good place to start?

Note: Computing power is not an issue for this problem as the system will be parellelized across 4096 cores at ~ 1mhz each for a total of nearly 4 teraflops of computing power using 2x 280X Radeon GPU's.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After a good amount of Googling it seems that I'm looking for a variation of the EDFT algorithm (Elliptic Discrete Fourier Transform). I have not yet been able to find a comprehensive explanation of an EDFT algorithm. What I need is a comprehensive explanation of an elliptic Fourier transform and an example EDFT implementation. All I've found so far is general information that this algorithm isn't very popular which is probably why I haven't been able to find a good explanation of it. It appears that the actual EDFT loops around the perimeter and what I'm looking for is something that loops from the perimeter to the center. For use with other shapes other than the ellipse it seems that a 3D transform is needed where the third dimension is not spatial but a fuzzy (0-1) alpha value indicating the percentage of the pixel which contains the shape.

Last edited:

1. What is a 2D Fourier Transform?

A 2D Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that converts an image from the spatial domain (x-y coordinates) to the frequency domain (amplitude and phase). This allows for analysis of the image in terms of its constituent frequencies.

2. How does the 2D Fourier Transform work on a non-rectangular space?

The 2D Fourier Transform can be applied to any space, regardless of its shape. The transform works by breaking down the image into its individual frequencies, regardless of the shape of the space.

3. What is a non-rectangular space?

A non-rectangular space is any space that is not defined by a set of rectangular coordinates, such as a circular or irregularly shaped space.

4. Can the 2D Fourier Transform be applied to any type of image?

Yes, the 2D Fourier Transform can be applied to any type of image, as long as it is in digital form. This includes images of varying shapes and sizes, as well as images with noise or other imperfections.

5. What are the applications of 2D Fourier Transform on a non-rectangular space?

The 2D Fourier Transform on a non-rectangular space has many applications in various fields such as image processing, pattern recognition, and signal analysis. It can also be used in physics and engineering for analyzing signals and images in curved or irregular spaces.