Do We All Perceive Reality the Same Way?

• Medical
  • Thread starter NoGeniusJustSensible
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of whether individuals perceive things in the same way or if their perception is unique to themselves. This is known as the inverted spectrum problem, and while it is difficult to determine for sure, there is evidence that suggests that individual experiences can differ due to factors such as colorblindness or dyslexia. The conversation also considers the possibility that even without these conditions, individuals may still have different experiences due to variations in their sensory mechanisms and brain processes. However, it is generally assumed that people have similar experiences and understanding of things like color and taste. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complexity of perception and the limitations of our understanding of it.
NoGeniusJustSensible
is what is red to me red to u, or is it what i'd see as blue? :confused:
is when i hear "A" do you hear "A" or do u hear what i'd hear as "Z"? :confused:
when i say whack, do you hear whack, or do you hear what i'd say as phat? :confused:
when i read time, do you read time or do you read what i'd read as byebye? :confused:

is my perception the same as yours, or do we percieve what we want and expect someone else to percieve it the same way? What I'm trying to convey here is a little difficult to put in words... so it's okay if u don't understand any of what I've said... but i really hope u understand... :smile:

N.B. the examples I've used, could be changed to whatever as you please.

Biology news on Phys.org
This is called the inverted spectrum problem. I don't think anyone has developed a method of settling the question.

You can't really know for sure but it's probably true.

Two pointers to the same variable. Does it really matter?

It does if the pointer is a different sort of thing to what it points at. (Which is only an
artificially enforced stipiulation in computing, but maybe that is where the ananlogy breaks down).

i love the wine.. but my friend can't drink it. he dislike the wine...
does he feel the same falvor that me? and he dislike it? or he feel somenthing different??

Burnsys said:
i love the wine.. but my friend can't drink it. he dislike the wine...
does he feel the same falvor that me? and he dislike it? or he feel somenthing different??

Taste the win and pretend you don't like it. That's what he's tasting. (I do this all the time with food I hate. It makes it taste 'somewhat' better, go placebo!...)

People usually assume everyone else has the same experience of things like the color red, the taste of food, etc. Going by this assumption doesn't usually cause any problems, which lends some support to it being true.

Subtle problems are noticed with individuals, now and then, and it often takes quite a bit of detective work to eventually uncover that there are great gaps between their subjective experience and most others people's, gaps created, for instance, by deficiencies like partial colorblindness and dislexia.

Realizing that conditions like this - and those aren't the only two - can silently separate people from those around them, makes you wonder about any initial assumption that red is red for everyone, or that all people hear the same tone quality in a note blown on a saxophone, for example. We've realized that a difference in the rods and cones of the eyes, or a difference in the cells of the Broca's, or Wernicke's area of the brain, can make two people's experience of the same thing quite different. Does it extend beyond pathological situations?

Drinking from the same bottle, is my experience of the taste of the wine different from yours? Perhaps by virtue of our having been born, say, with a different ratio of the various taste buds to each other, or by virtue of having been trained to devote a different amount of brain space to the processing of taste? It doesn't seem outlandish at all to suspect it might be.
How far might that go? Might it extend to your seeing red as the same color I call blue? Probably not that far.

The taste of most wines to me isn't even the same as when I first tasted it. It takes time to learn the subtleties of certain sensual experiences and they become much richer when you do.

I have just solved this problem.

Yes, we do. Unless there was a machine which could replicate you exactly, we all experience different sensations when sensing the same thing. We also have different understandings when we think about the world around us, because we don't learn in exactly the same way. We may come to the same step by step conclusions, but the actual process in the brain will not be the same.

However as we experience the same colours and tastes etc in the same way as we have in the past, this suggests there are some continuous properties to experiencing something in different states of mind. The way our brains work are very similiar, especially our senses and emotions which are not affected by the environment much, though not the same.

Different brains through time is one thing (your brain when you were 5 and your brain now), but different brains will be different in their properties as they are composed of another set of substance.

One thing we are all aware of is the difference between pleasure, pain and our evolved responses to these stimuli, however we will not experience the same colours as someone else, we can look at the same colours, just not experience them in the same way.

the_truth said:
Unless there was a machine which could replicate you exactly, we all experience different sensations when sensing the same thing.
It is certainly true that no two people are precisely alike. I think it follows from there that it is reasonable to question the assumption that any two experience the same qualities from the same sensory imput. The question to ask next is whether the differences between people extend in any important way into the sensory mechanisms themselves. How do those mechanisms work, and would it be possible for two different healthy peoples' to work so differently that they have different sensory experiences as extreme as my red looking like your blue?

NoGeniusJustSensible said:
N.B. the examples I've used, could be changed to whatever as you please.
Ok, let us get down to essentials: how do you know anything? If you are interested, I will explain the only rational explanation of that problem I am aware of. Do I have a taker? :rofl:

Have fun -- Dick

Knowledge is Power
and the most common abuse of that power is to use it to hide stupidity

1. What is the concept behind "Is what I see what you see?"

The concept behind "Is what I see what you see?" is known as the problem of perception. It questions whether individuals experience the world in the same way or if our perceptions are fundamentally different.

2. How do we perceive things differently?

There are several factors that can contribute to differences in perception. These can include individual differences in sensory abilities, personal experiences, cultural backgrounds, and cognitive processes.

3. Can we ever truly know if we perceive things the same as others?

It is difficult to definitively answer this question, as it ultimately depends on our understanding of perception and the limits of our knowledge. Some argue that it is impossible to truly know if we see things the same as others, while others believe that through communication and understanding, we can bridge the gap between our perceptions.

4. How does perception affect our understanding of the world?

Perception plays a crucial role in how we interpret and understand the world around us. Our perceptions influence our thoughts, behaviors, and decision-making processes, and can shape our understanding of reality.

5. How does science study perception?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study perception, including psychological experiments, neuroscience techniques, and computational modeling. By analyzing the mechanisms and processes involved in perception, scientists can gain a better understanding of how we see and experience the world.