Arab VW Commercial: Not Very PC but Funny!

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
In summary, the commercial created a lot of backlash in the United States because it was considered to be promoting the car in a way that wasn't correct according to politically correct standards. However, it was still very well received in other parts of the world, including Europe.
Physics news on Phys.org
everyone's seen that commercial

everyone but dduardo! You don't know?

That was the first time I had seen it.

They wouldn't show that in the U.S. I'm sure it's been out in europe for a while though.

It's not a real VW commercial. It's an independant project, and no it wasn't aired anywhere.

I was told that it was aired in europe, but us british wherent allowed to see it because britain has gone all weird and taken political correctness to a whole new level.

I even heard it was aired in south american countries like peru.

First time for me too, that was great.

This is the first time I've seen it. That was good!

Andy said:
I was told that it was aired in europe, but us british wherent allowed to see it because britain has gone all weird and taken political correctness to a whole new level.
I think the only countries that care to be politically correct are those that allow immigration in the first place...

i'm from an immigrant family, but if something politically incorrect is said, I am not offended unless i feel the intent to hurt is apparent (and that usually has to do with the source and method of delivery).

outsider said:
This is the first time I've seen it. That was good!

I think the only countries that care to be politically correct are those that allow immigration in the first place...

i'm from an immigrant family, but if something politically incorrect is said, I am not offended unless i feel the intent to hurt is apparent (and that usually has to do with the source and method of delivery).

Same her. There was a long article about how VW took legal action against the private group who created the commercial as it appeared that it was an ad for the car. If yuo take time you can find it online.

dduardo said:
Thanks... it's apparent that these guys did this for fun. Thanks to the Internet VW got lots of free promotion that puts them on the side of "good". Even if this were done in poor taste, it was done to propogate on the side of "the free world", which VW belongs to (or so I thought).

The action was likely an over reaction to ensure political correctness. Or else it might be to ensure no misrepresentation of their vehicle's abilities. Probably the latter now that I think about it.

1. What is the "Arab VW Commercial" about?

The "Arab VW Commercial" is a comedic advertisement for Volkswagen featuring a group of Arab men pushing a Volkswagen Polo car instead of starting it, as a humorous nod to the stereotype that Arab men are known for their strength.

2. Is the "Arab VW Commercial" offensive?

Some viewers may find the commercial offensive due to its use of stereotypes. However, others may find it funny and harmless. It ultimately depends on individual perspectives and cultural sensitivities.

3. When was the "Arab VW Commercial" released?

The commercial was released in 2013 as part of Volkswagen's "Think Small" campaign for the Middle East market.

4. Was the "Arab VW Commercial" successful?

The commercial received mixed reactions, with some praising its cleverness and others criticizing it for perpetuating stereotypes. However, it did generate a lot of buzz and was widely shared on social media, making it a successful marketing campaign for Volkswagen.

5. Were there any controversies surrounding the "Arab VW Commercial"?

Yes, there were some controversies surrounding the commercial. Some critics accused Volkswagen of perpetuating negative stereotypes and promoting racism. In response, Volkswagen issued a statement saying that the commercial was meant to be a lighthearted and humorous take on the stereotype, and apologized if it offended anyone.