Finding a point midway between two electric charges

In summary, the potential difference between a point infinitely far away and a point midway between two point charges of magnitude 2nC and -4nC separated by 35 cm is 3.2e9 volts. This can be calculated using the magnitude of electric field and potential difference formulas, after ensuring the correct equations and conversions are used. A potential difference of 9.04e13 volts, as originally calculated, is not a reasonable result and may indicate an error in the problem statement or given values.
Sterfrye36

Homework Statement

Two point charges of magnitude 2nC and -4nC are separated by 35 cm. The Coulomb constant is 8.98755e9 Newtons (Meters squared/ Coulombs squared). What is the potential difference between a point infinitely far away and a point midway between the charges?

R= .175

Homework Equations

E = Kc (q/r^2)

Magnitude of electric field = Coulomb's Constant (value of the charge/ Distance squared)

Delta V = Kc (q/r)

Potential difference = Coulomb's Constant (value of the point charge)/ (distance to the point charge)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried running the two separate charges into the first formula (E1= 587, E2= -1174), then added them together, then ran the second formula with the difference of the first two (1761) and ended up with (9.04e13).

Call me crazy, but isn't that quite a bit of voltage for such a tiny amount of charges? Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first confirm that the equations and values being used are correct. The magnitude of electric field formula should be E = Kc (q/r^2), not E = Kc (q/r). Also, the potential difference formula should be Delta V = Kc (q/r), not Delta V = Kc (q/r^2). Additionally, the values for the charges are given in nanocoulombs, so they should be converted to coulombs before being used in the equations.

Next, I would double check the calculations to make sure they were done correctly. Using the correct equations and values, the electric fields at the midpoint between the two charges should be E1 = 0 and E2 = -3.2e9. Adding them together gives a total electric field of -3.2e9. Then, using the potential difference formula, the potential difference between a point infinitely far away and the midpoint should be 3.2e9 volts, which is much more reasonable for the given values.

If the calculations are still not giving the expected result, I would check for any errors in the units or conversions. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram and label all the given values to ensure they are being used correctly in the equations.

Finally, I would consider the physical meaning of the result and whether it makes sense in the given scenario. A potential difference of 9.04e13 volts is extremely high and would likely lead to unexpected consequences. It is possible that the given values are not realistic or there is a mistake in the problem statement. In this case, it would be important to clarify with the person who posted the forum question.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of potential difference. The potential difference between two points is a measure of the work needed to move a unit charge from one point to the other. In this case, we are looking for the potential difference between a point infinitely far away and a point midway between the two charges. This means that we are essentially moving a unit charge from infinity to a point midway between the two charges.

To calculate the potential difference, we can use the equation Delta V = Kc (q/r), where Kc is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the two points. In this case, since we are moving a unit charge, q = 1. The distance r is the distance from the point midway between the charges to infinity, which is essentially the same as the distance between the two charges. So, r = 35 cm.

Plugging in the values, we get Delta V = (8.98755e9 Nm^2/C^2) * (2nC + (-4nC))/0.35m = -2.57e10 V. This is a much more reasonable value for the potential difference.

The mistake in your attempt at a solution was that you added the electric fields of the two charges, which is not the correct way to calculate the potential difference. Instead, you need to consider the work done in moving a unit charge from one point to the other, taking into account the direction and magnitude of the electric field at each point. I hope this helps clarify things for you.

1. What is the concept of finding a point midway between two electric charges?

The concept of finding a point midway between two electric charges is based on the principle of electrostatic equilibrium. This means that the forces exerted by the two charges on an imaginary test charge at this midpoint are equal and opposite, resulting in a net force of zero.

2. How is the midpoint between two electric charges calculated?

The midpoint between two electric charges is calculated using the formula x = (q1d1 + q2d2) / (q1 + q2), where x is the distance from the first charge, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and d1 and d2 are their respective distances from the midpoint.

3. Can the midpoint between two electric charges be located outside the two charges?

Yes, the midpoint between two electric charges can be located outside the two charges. This is because the two charges can have different magnitudes, resulting in a net force that is not directed towards the midpoint. In this case, the midpoint will be located closer to the charge with a larger magnitude.

4. How does the distance between the two charges affect the location of the midpoint?

The distance between the two charges directly affects the location of the midpoint. The farther apart the two charges are, the closer the midpoint will be to the charge with a larger magnitude. If the two charges are at equal distances from the midpoint, then the midpoint will be located exactly in the middle between the two charges.

5. Can the concept of finding a midpoint between two electric charges be applied to multiple charges?

Yes, the concept of finding a midpoint between two electric charges can be extended to multiple charges. In this case, the midpoint will be located at the point where the net force exerted by all charges is zero, resulting in electrostatic equilibrium. The same formula can be used to calculate the distance from each charge to the midpoint.