Deriving ln(x) series

In summary, deriving the series expansion of ln(x) involves expanding the function about a specific point, typically x = 1. The series expansion formula is \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{f^{(n)}(x_0)}{n!}(x - x_0)^n, where x_0 is the point of expansion and f(x) is the function. For ln(x), the first few terms are (x - 1) - \frac{1}{2}(x - 1)^2 + ... This can be simplified by letting u = x - 1. Additionally, the first expression in the link provided at math.com can be derived by integrating the series expansion of
jbowers9
How do you go about deriving the series expansion of ln(x)?
0 < x
I got the representation at math.com but i'd still like to know how they got it. It's been a while since i did calc. iii. Thanks.
John

Physics news on Phys.org
You expand it as you would any other function, you just have to be careful which point you expand it about. Typically the function is expanded about the point x = 1.

The series expansion is [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{f^{(n)}(x_0)}{n!}(x - x_0)^n[/tex], so for [itex]x_0 = 1[/itex] and f(x) = lnx, the first few terms are

[tex]\ln x_0 + \frac{1}{x_0}(x - x_0) - \frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{x_0^2}(x - x_0)^2 + ...[/tex]

[tex] = (x - 1) - \frac{1}{2}(x - 1)^2 + ...[/tex]

This can be made to look a little cleaner by letting u = x - 1.

ln(x) series

I found the following link at math.com

http://www.math.com/tables/expansion/log.htm

I derived the first expression in the link and the one you gave the following way:

1/1-x = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + ...
let x = -x and integrate
1/1+x = 1 - x + x^2 - x^3
int {1/1+x dx} = x - x^2/2 + x^3/3 - x^4/4 ... = ln(1+x)
let x = x-1
ln(x) = (x-1) - (x-1)^2/2 + (x-1)^3/3 ... 0 < |x| < 1
The above expression is invalid at x=0.
How are the three expressions following the first in the link derived?

Last edited:

1. What is the series expansion of ln(x)?

The series expansion of ln(x) is a mathematical representation of the natural logarithm function, which is a continuous, increasing, and concave function that describes the relationship between a number and its logarithm. It is expressed as an infinite sum of powers of x, where x is the input value.

2. Why is the series expansion of ln(x) important?

The series expansion of ln(x) is important because it allows us to approximate the value of the natural logarithm function at any given input. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in solving differential equations, calculating integrals, and in statistical analysis.

3. How is the series expansion of ln(x) derived?

The series expansion of ln(x) is derived using the Taylor series, which is a mathematical tool that allows us to express a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives at a given point. In the case of ln(x), the Taylor series is centered at x=1, and the derivatives are evaluated at x=1.

4. What is the convergence of the series expansion of ln(x)?

The series expansion of ln(x) converges for values of x that are close to the center of the series, which is x=1. However, the series diverges for x values that are farther away from the center, such as x=0 and x=2. This is because the natural logarithm function is not defined for negative values and approaches negative infinity as x approaches 0.

5. Can the series expansion of ln(x) be used for all values of x?

No, the series expansion of ln(x) is only valid for values of x that are close to the center of the series, which is x=1. For values of x that are far from the center, the series may not accurately approximate the value of ln(x). In these cases, other methods, such as using numerical integration, may be more appropriate.