Expected value on subset of Pareto

In summary, Xavier is looking for the expected value of a set of samples that follow a Pareto distribution, with known parameters. These samples are filtered out based on a certain value, 'a'. Xavier is trying to calculate this expected value using the conditional expectation formula, and is asking for confirmation on his approach. Pere suggests two alternative formulas for calculating the conditional expectation and advises Xavier to try them both. After trying, Xavier confirms that both formulas give the same result.
xag
Hi -
I have a Pareto distribution X (xm=1, k known)*. High-value samples are filtered out and I want the expected value of the remaining. Namely: E[X|X<a].

*Wikipedia notations

Many thanks in advance.
Xavier

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the conditional expectation you are referring to? How did you try to calculate it? Where did you get stuck?

Hi Pere -

What I'm looking for is a mean value.
I found out that the samples of interest belong to a larger set that roughly follow a Pareto distribution, and that among this larger set, the samples of interest are the ones whose values are below a certain number, 'a'.

I can estimate the parameters of the Pareto once for all, and calculate 'a' for each run. But I can't access the samples for each run, so if there was a way to predict it with 'k' (the Pareto shape) and 'a', that would be great.

My first guess is that the samples of interest also follow a Pareto, but I've not shown that. And in this case, could we express its shape K and scale Xm? Then the mean I'm looking for would be K Xm/(K-1).

Xavier

Ok. It seems I got all the way to the finish line and stopped just before :

I guess I just had to integrate the probability density function between 1 and a (it's defined between 1 and +oo).
It gives : (a ^(1 - k) - 1) * k / (1 - k)

Can anyone confirm?

xag said:
I guess I just had to integrate the probability density function between 1 and a.
Can anyone confirm?

What you did gives you the probability of a sample with value less than a.

Try the following instead: First calculate the conditional distribution function[itex]\mathbb{P}(X\leqx| X \leq a)[/itex].
By definition this is equal to

[tex]
\frac{\mathbb{P}(X\leq x \wedge X \leq a)}{\mathbb{P}(X\leq a)}
[/tex]

(You already calculated the denominator.)

You can also easily calculate the numerator. For x>a the numerator is [itex]\mathbb{P}(X \leq a)[/itex] which cancels with denominator giving one. For x>a you calculate it in the same way as you did for [itex]\mathbb{P}(X \leq a)[/itex] with a replaced by x. Then you take the derivative with respect to x to find the conditional density function [itex]\rho_a(x)[/itex] (suported on [1,a]), which you then use to calculate the conditional expectation as
[tex]\mathbb{E}\left[X|X\leq a\right]=\int_1^a{x\rho_a(x)dx}[/tex]
A more direct though maybe less obvious formula would be
[tex]\mathbb{E}\left[X|X\leq a\right]=\frac{\int_1^a{x\rho(x)dx}}{\int_1^a{\rho(x)dx}}[/tex],
where [itex]\rho(x)[/itex] is the density function of your original Pareto distribution.
I suggest you try them both and check if they really are the same:smile:
-Pere

Last edited:
xag said:
Ok. It seems I got all the way to the finish line and stopped just before :

I guess I just had to integrate the probability density function between 1 and a (it's defined between 1 and +oo).
It gives : (a ^(1 - k) - 1) * k / (1 - k)

Can anyone confirm?

Forget this post: the thing I integrated was x * dF(x) and moreover the result I gave here is wrong.

Pere Callahan said:
Try the following instead: First calculate the conditional distribution function[itex]\mathbb{P}(X\leqx| X \leq a)[/itex].
[...]
I suggest you try them both and check if they really are the same
-Pere

Thank you so much.

In both cases I find [tex] \mathbb{E}\left[X|X\leq a\right]= \frac{k}{k - 1} \frac{a ^ k - a}{a ^ k - 1}[/tex]

1. What is the expected value on a subset of Pareto distribution?

The expected value on a subset of Pareto distribution refers to the average or mean value that is expected to be observed on a subset of data points from a larger Pareto distribution. It is a measure of central tendency and can help in understanding the overall behavior of the data.

2. How is the expected value calculated on a subset of Pareto distribution?

The expected value on a subset of Pareto distribution is calculated by multiplying the probability of each data point in the subset with its corresponding value and then summing up all the values. Mathematically, it can be represented as E[X] = ∑ P(X=x) * x, where X is a random variable and x represents the value of that variable.

3. Can the expected value on a subset of Pareto distribution be negative?

Yes, the expected value on a subset of Pareto distribution can be negative if the corresponding values in the subset are also negative. The expected value is simply a measure of central tendency and can take on any value, including negative values, depending on the data.

4. How does the size of the subset affect the expected value on Pareto distribution?

The size of the subset does not significantly affect the expected value on Pareto distribution as long as the subset is a representative sample of the larger distribution. In other words, the expected value on a subset of Pareto distribution can be accurately estimated even with a small sample size.

5. What is the significance of calculating the expected value on a subset of Pareto distribution?

Calculating the expected value on a subset of Pareto distribution can help in making predictions and decisions based on a smaller sample of data. It can also provide insights into the overall behavior of the data and can be used to compare different subsets of the same distribution or subsets from different distributions.