How Does a Jolly Balance Relate to Archimedes's Principle?

In summary: Dsub=M/VThe ratio of the density of the submerged object to the density of the fluid is the specific gravity.SG=Dsub/DThis is what is being compared in the experiment, rather than the buoyant force itself. It is a way to indirectly measure the buoyant force in order to verify Archimedes's principle.
TURBANator
we were doing a lab to test archimedes's principle and it said to measure the specific gravity of a sphere using a jolly balance..

however, i fail to see how this is related to archimedes's principle since the jolly balance doesn't measure the displacement of the water or its weight..?

what were doing is comparing the specific gravity of an object by taking its density (we measured mass and volume) and dividing it by 1 since that's the density of water.. and the specific gravity of the same object by looking at spring elongation on the jolly balance when not submerged and then fully submerged in water..

can someone explain to me why were comparing specific gravity when archimedes's principle is about buoyant force? thanks! : )

btw, i think i posted this in the wrong place, haha. sorry, can a mod move it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

TURBANator said:
what were doing is comparing the specific gravity of an object by taking its density (we measured mass and volume) and dividing it by 1 since that's the density of water.. and the specific gravity of the same object by looking at spring elongation on the jolly balance when not submerged and then fully submerged in water..

can someone explain to me why were comparing specific gravity when archimedes's principle is about buoyant force? thanks! : )

Hi TURBANator! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You measured the volume before you used the jolly balance.

The jolly balance measures the buoyant force by subtracting the ordinary weight from the submerged weight.

So you compare the buoyant force with the volume to check whether Archimedes was right! :smile:

Now I'm not sure what a Jolly Balance is, but I can help with the equations.

The Bouyant force is equal to gravity times density of the fluid times displaced volume.

B=gDV

V=B/gD

Then you get the density of the submerged object by taking its mass and dividing by the calculated volume

1. What is Archimedes's Principle?

Archimedes's Principle states that the upward buoyant force on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. In simpler terms, it explains why objects float or sink in fluids.

2. What is the purpose of the Archimedes's Principle Lab?

The purpose of the Archimedes's Principle Lab is to demonstrate and experimentally verify Archimedes's Principle. Through various experiments, students can see how the buoyant force affects different objects and how it is related to the weight of the fluid displaced.

3. How is Archimedes's Principle used in real life?

Archimedes's Principle is used in many real-life applications, such as shipbuilding, submarine design, and hot air balloons. It is also used in determining the purity and density of materials, such as gold, by measuring their buoyancy in different fluids.

4. What materials are needed for the Archimedes's Principle Lab?

The materials needed for the Archimedes's Principle Lab include a container of water, various objects of different sizes and densities, a scale, and a ruler or measuring tape.

5. What are some possible sources of error in the Archimedes's Principle Lab?

Possible sources of error in the Archimedes's Principle Lab include inaccurate measurements, air bubbles sticking to the objects, and not fully immersing the objects in the water. It is important to repeat the experiments multiple times and take the average of the results to minimize these errors.