Can Strings Act as Both Particles and Waves Like Quantum Particles?

In summary: Epistemology and maths should go hand in hand. The fact that such a key point is reliably and continually wiped under the carpet suggests to me that we have extremely able calculators in their ivory towers who don't actually strive for truth.
hoth
Just thinking out loud... What if strings could interact in the same manner as quantum particles in that they can act both as particle and as wave depending on the observation apparatus. That is, there is a singular force in the universe which affects all things, by it can manifest in two forms. If you diffract the waves of this force by causing the strings to interact through moving electrons, then you get electromagnetic waves in a characteristic diffraction banding pattern. The electrons are like a a mesh screen or spaced slits. However, as you move to larger things and scale up, there are times when there is no more diffraction and the force acts as a particle would as there are no more "slits" to cause diffraction. This force could act as gravity does, uniformly in the 3D space except for diminishing with distance and increasing with mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
String theory is a quantum theory, so yes, strings have both "particle" and "wave" properties.

In the string theory, the mass of an object depends on the way its strings vibrate. Waves are strings that would not vibrate I suppose.

tomtom637 said:
In the string theory, the mass of an object depends on the way its strings vibrate. Waves are strings that would not vibrate I suppose.
No. Waves are strings for which you do not know where exactly they are and how exactly they vibrate.

I don`t have any degrees or anything but I like to think outside the box, my theory is things appear as they do depending on your perspective.
If you look at a front view of a wave form you see the wave, if you look at it from a plan view you see a line, that line`s end view it a dot (particle)
So this leads me to believe what we see in this dimension as a wave, can be seen in other dimensions as a particle (when frequency peaks close to another dimension) or particle trail.
I won`t get cut if you delete this post, it`s just a theory from a uneducated storeman.

Demystifier said:
No. Waves are strings for which you do not know where exactly they are and how exactly they vibrate.

Which kind of sums up string theory...

Why has theoretical physics become so dominated by number crunchers that it actually makes no sense to anyone ? Non locality itself points to a dimensional like separation between things that have mass and things that don't (as suggested by the person that replied to this quote of yours).

The fact that such a key point is reliably and continually wiped under the carpet suggests to me that we have extremely able calculators in their ivory towers who don't actually strive for truth. We all (I would hope) love the magic of the symmetry in nature represented by the "=" sign, and how that opens up the nature of things to maths. But to divorce the epistemology from the maths seems overtly crass to me.

What is the difference between a string particle and a wave?

A string particle is a theoretical concept in physics that describes particles as tiny, one-dimensional strings rather than point particles. Waves, on the other hand, are disturbances that travel through a medium, carrying energy with them. The main difference between the two is that string particles are fundamental units of matter, while waves are a type of energy.

How do string particles and waves behave differently?

String particles are described as having a finite length and can vibrate in different modes, giving rise to different properties such as mass and charge. Waves, on the other hand, propagate through space and can exhibit properties such as frequency, wavelength, and amplitude. Additionally, waves can interfere with each other, while string particles do not interact in the same way.

Can string particles and waves coexist?

Yes, string particles and waves can coexist in the same space. In fact, some theories suggest that all particles, including string particles, have a wave-like nature. This is known as wave-particle duality and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

What is the relationship between string particles and quantum mechanics?

String theory, which proposes the existence of string particles, is a theoretical framework that aims to reconcile the laws of quantum mechanics with those of general relativity. String particles are postulated to be the building blocks of all matter and are described by quantum mechanics, making them an essential part of this theory.

Are there any practical implications of string particles and waves?

Currently, there are no direct practical applications of string particles and waves. However, the study of string theory and its implications for quantum mechanics and general relativity may lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. This, in turn, could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as cosmology, particle physics, and quantum computing.