How to Solve a PDE using Laplace Transform?

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a PDE using Laplace Transform with given initial and boundary conditions. After taking LT and using an integrating factor, the PDE was transformed into an ODE. The conversation then discussed finding the value of A(s) and using partial fractions to solve the ODE. The solution was eventually found and the conversation concluded with a thank you.
freesnow

Homework Statement

Use the Laplace Transform to solve the PDE for u(x,t) with x>0 and t>0:
x(du/dx) + du/dt = xt
with IC: u(x,0) = 0 and BC: u(0,t) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After taking LT of the PDE wrt t, the PDE becomes
x(dU/dx) + sU = x/(s2)

Integrating factor :
I = exp([tex]\int(s/x)dx[/tex]) = xs

ODE becomes
d/dx(Uxs) = xs/s2

Integrating both sides:
U = x/(s3+s) + A(s)/xs

then I don't know how to find A(s), if I use BC, the factor 1/0 will come out...or is there some other way to calculate the PDE with LT?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
freesnow said:
Integrating both sides:
U = x/(s3+s) + A(s)/xs

then I don't know how to find A(s), if I use BC, the factor 1/0 will come out...

Unless A(s)=0 :wink:

Thanks!

so U(x,s) = x/(s3+s2)

but then I don't know how to do the inverse LT to get u(x,t) such that it fits the PDE...

thanks

freesnow said:
so U(x,s) = x/(s3+s2)

but then I don't know how to do the inverse LT to get u(x,t) such that it fits the PDE...

thanks

Just use partial fractions:

[tex]\frac{1}{s^3+s}=\frac{1}{s(s^2+1)}=\frac{A}{s}+\frac{Bs}{s^2+1}+\frac{C}{s^2+1}[/tex]

Solve for A,B and C

I finally solved it! Thanks very much!

1. What is the Laplace Transform method used for solving PDEs?

The Laplace Transform method is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs). It involves transforming the PDE into an algebraic equation in a new variable, known as the Laplace variable, which can then be solved using algebraic methods.

2. How does the Laplace Transform method work?

The Laplace Transform method involves transforming the PDE into a new equation in the Laplace variable using a specific integral transformation. This new equation can then be solved using algebraic methods, and the solution can be transformed back to the original variable using the inverse Laplace Transform.

3. What types of PDEs can be solved using the Laplace Transform method?

The Laplace Transform method can be used to solve linear PDEs with constant coefficients. It is particularly useful for solving PDEs with boundary conditions, initial conditions, and forcing terms.

4. What are the advantages of using the Laplace Transform method for solving PDEs?

The Laplace Transform method can often provide closed-form solutions to PDEs, which can be easier to work with than numerical solutions. It also allows for the separation of variables, reducing the PDE to a series of simpler ODEs, making it easier to solve.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace Transform method for solving PDEs?

The Laplace Transform method can only be used for linear PDEs with constant coefficients. It is not suitable for solving nonlinear PDEs or PDEs with variable coefficients. Additionally, the process of transforming and inverse transforming the PDE can be complex and time-consuming, making it more suitable for simple PDEs.