Tangent/normal/area for this Circle

• Thread starter DavioSenBoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the given conversation involves a question about finding the tangent, normal, and area of a curve given by x = a cos :biggrin: and y = b sin :biggrin:. The speaker establishes that this is a circle by using the identity cos^2 :biggrin: + sin^2 :biggrin: = 1 and substituting it into the given equations. However, another person points out that this curve is actually an ellipse and provides the correct parametrized equation for a circle. The tangent and normal of the curve can be found by differentiating with respect to :biggrin:.
DavioSenBoo
I'm not whether this is the right place, but I saw geometry, n differentiation n thought, hmm, my question kinda involves both. If its in the wrong place, sorry...

Anyways...Got this curve given as

:biggrin: = theta for the sake of typing, hehe.

x = a cos :biggrin: y = b sin :biggrin:

I established it's a circle, because cos^2 :biggrin: +sin^2 :biggrin: =1

and subbing that in what sin :biggrin: and cos :biggrin: equal gives (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1

Which is in the form for an equation for a circle? I'm not entirely sure on all this 2 be honest so if I'm goin wrong, feel free 2 point it out.

I want to find the tangent, the normal n the area of the circle. I've tried numerous ways but can't get the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
"I established it's a circle, because cos^2:grumpy: +sin^2:grumpy: =1"

How does this identity establish the given curve as a circle?
It is an ellipse!
The tangent is found by differentiating x and y with respect to :grumpy:

You have made a mistake because the parametrised circle is given as:
c(theta)=(a*cos(theta),a*sin(theta). (u have to take a=b)
so to obtain its tangent we need to differentiate c w.r.t. theta, giving
t=(-a*sin(theta),a*cos(theta)).
to obtain its normal we again differentiate t, giving
n=(-a*cos(theta),-a*sin(theta))/mag(n);
hope that satisfies u..

1. What is a tangent line for a circle?

A tangent line for a circle is a line that touches the circle at only one point, called the point of tangency. It is perpendicular to the radius of the circle at that point.

2. How is the tangent line of a circle calculated?

The tangent line of a circle can be calculated by finding the slope of the radius at the point of tangency and then using that slope to find the equation of the line using point-slope form.

3. What is the normal line for a circle?

The normal line for a circle is a line that is perpendicular to the tangent line at the point of tangency. It intersects the circle at the point of tangency and is parallel to the radius of the circle at that point.

4. How can the normal line of a circle be determined?

The normal line of a circle can be determined by finding the slope of the tangent line at the point of tangency and then finding the negative reciprocal of that slope. This new slope can then be used to find the equation of the line using point-slope form.

5. What is the area of a circle and how can it be calculated?

The area of a circle is the amount of space inside the circle. It can be calculated using the formula A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. This formula can be derived using calculus and integration methods.