Solving for Impulse Response h(t) Given z'(t) + 4z(t) = 4x(t)

In summary, the problem is asking for the impulse response h(t) given the differential equation z'(t) + 4z(t) = 4x(t). To solve, we first divide by 4 and make substitutions for z(t) and x(t) to get (1/4)h'(t) + h(t) = dirac(t). Using Laplace transforms and partial fraction expansion, we get the final solution of h(t) = (1/4)u(t)*[1-e^(-4t)], where u(t) represents the unit step function.
ryukyu
1. Find the impulse response h(t) given: z'(t) + 4z(t) = 4x(t)

2. The attempt at a solution

I first decided to divide through by 4

(1/4)z'(t) + z(t) = x(t)

since we are looking for impulse response I made the following substitutions:

let z(t) = h(t)

let x(t) = dirac(t)

which yields

(1/4) h'(t) + h(t) = dirac(t)

at which point I don't know how to handle the problem anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you want an explicit solution for h(t)

there are other ways to solve that differential equation, but in signal processing courses you're usually taught to use laplace transforms.

assuming initial conditions are 0
you would get

(1/4)[s*H(s)-h(0)] + H(s) = 1/s
(1/4)[s*H(s)] + H(s) = 1/s
H(s)[s/4 + 1] = 1/s
H(s) = 4/(s*(s+4))
from here, you can use partial fraction expansion, and then take the inverse laplace transform of the fractions separately.

Great! This gets me a bit further. Now I am just a bit confused about expressing my answer.

I did the partial fraction expansion and got a=(1/4) and b=(-1/4)

This gave me:

H(s)=(1/4)(1/s) - (1/4)(1/(s+4))

taking the Laplace Inverse

h(t) = (1/4)u(t) - (1/4)e^(-4t)u(t)

While in DiffEq, we ignored the u(t), I'm assuming since it has relevance to signals it should be kept, but I'm not sure.

If so my final solution should be
h(t) = (1/4)u(t)*[1-e^(-4t)] ??

ryukyu said:
Great! This gets me a bit further. Now I am just a bit confused about expressing my answer.

I did the partial fraction expansion and got a=(1/4) and b=(-1/4)

This gave me:

H(s)=(1/4)(1/s) - (1/4)(1/(s+4))

taking the Laplace Inverse

h(t) = (1/4)u(t) - (1/4)e^(-4t)u(t)

While in DiffEq, we ignored the u(t), I'm assuming since it has relevance to signals it should be kept, but I'm not sure.

If so my final solution should be
h(t) = (1/4)u(t)*[1-e^(-4t)] ??

You must keep u(t), because if it is omitted your response would have nonzero values before t = 0, when the excitation was applied.

1. What is an impulse response h(t)?

An impulse response h(t) is the output of a system when an impulse input is applied. It represents the behavior of the system and can be used to predict the output for any input signal.

2. How is h(t) related to z'(t) + 4z(t) = 4x(t)?

The equation z'(t) + 4z(t) = 4x(t) is a differential equation that describes the behavior of a system with input x(t) and output z(t). The impulse response h(t) is the solution to this equation, meaning it represents the output of the system when an impulse input is applied.

3. How do you solve for h(t) given z'(t) + 4z(t) = 4x(t)?

To solve for h(t), you can use methods such as Laplace transforms or convolution to find the solution to the differential equation z'(t) + 4z(t) = 4x(t). Once the solution is found, it can be interpreted as the impulse response h(t) of the system.

4. What information can be obtained from the impulse response h(t)?

The impulse response h(t) can provide information about the behavior of a system, such as its stability, linearity, and frequency response. It can also be used to predict the output of the system for any input signal.

5. How is the impulse response h(t) used in practical applications?

The impulse response h(t) is essential in signal processing and control systems, as it allows for the analysis and design of systems. It is commonly used in areas such as audio and image processing, communication systems, and feedback control systems.