Learn How to Calculate RMS and Avoid Mistakes: Root Mean Square Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of rms (root mean square) and the differences between using a discrete set and a continuous set. The formula for calculating rms is provided and applied to two different scenarios, resulting in different values due to the nature of the sets. The concept of integrals is also briefly mentioned.
coki2000
Hello,
For 1 and 2 I want to calculate rms then

[tex]x_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_i^2}\Rightarrow x_{1,2}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}(1^2+2^2)}=\sqrt{\frac{5}{2}}[/tex]

And also

[tex]x_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{x_2-x_1}\int_{x_1}^{x_2}f^2(x)dx}[/tex]

For the function [tex]f(x)=x[/tex], [tex]x_1=1[/tex], [tex]x_2=2[/tex]

[tex]x_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{1}{2-1}\int_{1}^{2}x^2dx}=\sqrt{\frac{7}{3}}[/tex]

Please explain to me where I do wrong.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You do nothing wrong
Are you expecting to get the same value?
Well you won't because the discrete set {1,2} is different from the continuous set {x | 1<x<2}, therefore you shouldn't get the same value

elibj123 said:
You do nothing wrong
Are you expecting to get the same value?
Well you won't because the discrete set {1,2} is different from the continuous set {x | 1<x<2}, therefore you shouldn't get the same value
Alright how I write this integral form?Thanks.

1. What is the root mean square (RMS) value?

The root mean square value is a mathematical calculation used to determine the average magnitude of a set of values. It is useful for finding the overall amplitude of a waveform or signal.

2. How is the root mean square value calculated?

The root mean square value is calculated by taking the square root of the mean of the squared values in a set. This means that each value in the set is squared, then the average of those squared values is taken, and finally the square root of that average is found.

3. What is the difference between RMS and average value?

The average value of a set of values is simply the arithmetic mean, while the RMS value takes into account the magnitude of each value. This means that a few large values in the set can greatly affect the RMS value, while they may have little impact on the average value.

4. Why is the root mean square value important?

The root mean square value is important in many fields, including electrical engineering, acoustics, and statistics. It is used to find the effective or equivalent value of a set of values, and is often used to measure power or energy in a signal or system.

5. What is the RMS value used for in practical applications?

The RMS value is used in a variety of practical applications, such as calculating the power output of an electrical circuit, determining the loudness of sound waves, and finding the effective voltage of an AC electrical signal. It is also commonly used in statistical analysis to find the standard deviation of a set of values.