Which Microcontroller to Choose for VARIABLE DIGITAL NOTCH FILTER Lab Project

In summary, I would use the Atmega-32 for this project. The 8051 is a legacy chip that is only kept around because old timers don't like to learn new technology. The AVR is a simple and clean design, and if your goal isn't specifically to learn the 8051, it seems an odd choice.
dk99
Which Microcontroller??

i am supposed to build a VARIABLE DIGITAL NOTCH FILTER using a microcontroller (either avr atmega-32 or 8051) for my lab project.
I don't know which one to chose please help me out.
And suggest any nice tutorials to learn about microcontrollers.

Engineering news on Phys.org

dk99 said:
i am supposed to build a VARIABLE DIGITAL NOTCH FILTER using a microcontroller (either avr atmega-32 or 8051) for my lab project.
I don't know which one to chose please help me out.
And suggest any nice tutorials to learn about microcontrollers.

I've used the 8051 for some DSP, but it's just an 8-bit processor, right? Seems like you would only use it for DSP if the DSP were relatively simple, and cost was a big factor.

For either one, the manufacturer will have tutorial resources on their website.

I would use the Atmega-32. The 8051 is a legacy chip that is only kept around because old timers don't like to learn new technology.

Who you calling old timer?! :biggrin:

Topher925 said:
I would use the Atmega-32. The 8051 is a legacy chip that is only kept around because old timers don't like to learn new technology.

That's a bit unjust. There's a lot of legacy hardware and software, design tools, etc that's been thoroughly developed and tested that requires 8051 processors, and there's no shortage of sources for compatible processors. Migrating to a more modern processor would often be expensive and would involve not-insignificant risks. It's not just kept around because "old timers don't like to learn new technology".

That said, I'd go with the AVR. It's a simple and clean design, and if your goal isn't specifically to learn the 8051, it seems an odd choice. The AVR is also a bit unusual for this, though...like the 8051, it's an 8-bit microcontroller, not a DSP, and depending on your needs may be extremely lacking in processing power. In any case, check out http://www.avrfreaks.net/ for forums and other resources, and look at Atmel's application notes.

Ya.. Atmega looks like a superior choice because it's got an inbuilt ADC and all.

please suggest any tutorials for learning about microcontrollers

dk99 said:
Ya.. Atmega looks like a superior choice because it's got an inbuilt ADC and all.

please suggest any tutorials for learning about microcontrollers

berkeman said:
the manufacturer will have tutorial resources on their website.

4-char

1. What is a microcontroller?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit chip that is used to control electronic devices. It contains a processor, memory, and input/output peripherals.

2. Why is a microcontroller necessary for a VARIABLE DIGITAL NOTCH FILTER lab project?

A microcontroller is necessary for a VARIABLE DIGITAL NOTCH FILTER lab project because it is responsible for controlling the filter parameters and adjusting them based on input signals. It also provides the necessary computing power to perform the filtering calculations.

3. What are the important factors to consider when choosing a microcontroller for this lab project?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a microcontroller for this lab project include the processing speed, memory size, and number of input/output pins. The microcontroller should also have the necessary peripherals, such as analog-to-digital converters, to support the filtering functions. Additionally, it should be easy to program and have a low cost.

4. Is a specific brand or model of microcontroller recommended for this lab project?

There is no specific brand or model of microcontroller that is recommended for this lab project. It is important to choose a microcontroller that meets the necessary requirements and has good support and documentation. Some popular options for microcontrollers include Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and PIC.

5. Can a microcontroller be used for other projects besides a VARIABLE DIGITAL NOTCH FILTER lab project?

Yes, a microcontroller can be used for a wide range of projects in various industries, such as robotics, home automation, and industrial control. It is a versatile tool that can be programmed to perform different tasks based on the project's requirements.