The Right to Dry shall not be infringed

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the right to dry is a topic of debate in different states. Some states have passed "right to dry" laws, while others protect retractable clotheslines. Line dried clothes are scratchy, and dryers use a lot of energy. There is a possibility of combining tumbling and sunlight to create a semi-passive solar dryer.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While I realize this could get heated, it is a pressing issue, so I think it is time that we as a nation deal with our dirty laundry and come clean on the right to dry.

Right to dry

Some states have passed “right to dry” laws. In Florida, no one can ban clotheslines. Colorado law protects retractable, but not permanent, clotheslines. In 2008, Hawaii’s governor vetoed a “right to dry” bill...
http://www.naturalhomemagazine.com/Latest-News/Drying-Clothes-on-Clotheslines.aspx
http://right2dry.org/

Learn about the thermal freedom fighter, Susan Taylor, who is fighting for your right to dry [takes a moment to load]
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5153411n

Physics news on Phys.org
Clothes dried in sunlight smell like chlorine to me and burn my nose and make me sneeze, especially in time of high pollen. The sun also fades the clothes.

Also, the clothes need to be ironed after being line dried, so how much time and electricity does that waste?

Not to mention line dried clothes are scratchy.

You'll pry my clothes dryer out of my cold dead hands.

Evo said:
Clothes dried in sunlight smell like chlorine to me and burn my nose and make me sneeze, especially in time of high pollen. The sun also fades the clothes.

Also, the clothes need to be ironed after being line dried, so how much time and electricity does that waste?

Not to mention line dried clothes are scratchy.

You'll pry my clothes dryer out of my cold dead hands.

No one is trying to take away your right to tumble.

Ivan Seeking said:
No one is trying to take away your right to tumble.
LOL

The only thing I remember of my chilhood was hanging up clothes, taking down clothes, laying the clothes out, sprinkling them with water, rolling up and filling baskets with damp clothes and then ironing all day.

http://www.californiasolarcenter.org/images/comics/db010507.gif

http://www.californiasolarcenter.org/images/comics/db010508.gif

On an annual basis, electric dryers in the United States consume the rough equivalent of 30 million tons of coal—the output of the nation's 15 least productive nuclear reactors. That consumption is expensive: Estimates suggest that it costs the average household more than $100 a year to use a dryer.
Drying outside also kills bugs, running gear comes out of the dryer with all the bacteria alive and refreshed. The UV in sunlight kills them

I never heard of this law before or hazards of having clothlines.

rootX said:
I never heard of this law before or hazards of having clothlines.

Its not so much that it is a hazard, it is that people think they look ugly. At my last place, based on a similar reasoning, I received a warning from the city that I must place my garbage cans in a location not visible from the street or I would be fined.

I see the opportunity for compromise. No doubt someone has already done this...

The majority of the energy used for a load of clothes goes to the heating element. Could the benefits of tumbling and the antibacterial properties of sunlight be combined in a semi-passive solar dryer? Use grid energy to run the drum motor, but tap a passive source of heat for the drying. Additionally, direct sunlight into the drum, pehaps using a light-tube like those used for skylights. Or, perhaps the dryer could essentially be positioned outside, against an exterior wall as an air conditioner might be positioned, but still accessable from inside the house. Just shooting from the hip here, but you get the idea.

A typical heating element might require 4000-5000 watts.

Last edited:
it would be interesting to see a list of all the environmentalists that live in clothesline-free neighborhoods. perhaps clothes dryers are the true source of "smug".

What is the meaning of "The Right to Dry shall not be infringed"?

"The Right to Dry shall not be infringed" refers to the concept that individuals have the right to hang and dry their laundry outside without any interference or restriction from government or homeowners associations.

Why is "The Right to Dry" important?

"The Right to Dry" is important because it promotes sustainability and energy conservation. By using natural air and sunlight to dry clothes, individuals can reduce their carbon footprint and save on electricity costs.

Does "The Right to Dry" apply to all types of clothing?

Yes, "The Right to Dry" applies to all types of clothing. This includes clothes made of delicate fabrics like silk and wool, as well as heavy items like towels and blankets. However, certain clothing items may need to be placed on drying racks or hung in a shaded area to avoid damage from direct sunlight.

Are there any restrictions on "The Right to Dry"?

While "The Right to Dry" is generally protected, there may be certain restrictions in place for safety or aesthetic reasons. For example, some homeowners associations may have guidelines on where clotheslines can be placed or how long laundry can be left outside. Additionally, in some areas with extreme weather conditions, outdoor drying may not be feasible year-round.

What can individuals do if their right to dry is being infringed upon?

If individuals feel that their right to dry is being infringed upon, they can reach out to their local government or homeowners association to discuss the issue. They can also join advocacy groups that promote the right to dry and work towards changing any restrictive policies in their community.