Solving a Physics Problem: Millikan's Law & Mass of a Penny

In summary: I think strike must be referring to Millikans method of measuring electron charge.All charges measured were an integral amount of e.I don't know if there's a Millikans law.I think strike must be referring to Millikans method of measuring electron charge.All charges measured were an integral amount of e.I don't know if there's a Millikans law.
Strike213
Can help me with a physics problem.

Which is,

Where given a variety of masses of cups containing a different amount of pennies in each. we have to find the mass of a penny, which will allow us to determine the quantity of pennies in each cup.

We have to relate this to Millikan's law.

The largest mass is 45.88g and the smallest is 8.44g. The mass of the cup is 2.68g.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well would you agree that all the pennies have the same mass for all practical purposes?

Does that help at all?

Strike213 said:
Can help me with a physics problem.

Which is,

Where given a variety of masses of cups containing a different amount of pennies in each. we have to find the mass of a penny, which will allow us to determine the quantity of pennies in each cup.

We have to relate this to Millikan's law.

The largest mass is 45.88g and the smallest is 8.44g. The mass of the cup is 2.68g.

What is Millikan's law?

OmCheeto said:
What is Millikan's law?

I think strike must be referring to Millikans method of measuring electron charge.All charges measured were an integral amount of e.I don't know if there's a Millikans law.

Dadface said:
I think strike must be referring to Millikans method of measuring electron charge.All charges measured were an integral amount of e.I don't know if there's a Millikans law.

hmmm... Google wisdom, having as of late usurped conventional wisdom IMHO, says there is no such law.

googlewisdom.jpg

But I agree with your logical extrapolation of the "integral amount" from the posted problem.

I'd also say that there is too little information in the "given's" to come to a correct conclusion as to the answer to the original question.

This question pops at least once a day lately, search forums.

1. What is Millikan's Law and how is it related to the mass of a penny?

Millikan's Law is an equation that relates the mass and charge of an individual electron to its motion in an electric field. In the case of determining the mass of a penny, Millikan's Law is used to calculate the mass of a single electron in the electric field of the penny.

2. How is Millikan's Law experimentally determined?

Millikan's Law is experimentally determined by using a device called the oil drop apparatus, which measures the rate of fall of oil droplets in an electric field. By measuring the rate of fall and applying Millikan's Law, the mass and charge of the droplet can be calculated, providing a value for the mass of a single electron.

3. What is the significance of determining the mass of a penny using Millikan's Law?

Determining the mass of a penny using Millikan's Law is significant because it allows for the determination of the mass of a single electron, which is a fundamental constant in physics. This value can then be used in various equations and experiments to further our understanding of the behavior of electrons in electric fields.

4. Are there any limitations to using Millikan's Law to determine the mass of a penny?

There are some limitations to using Millikan's Law to determine the mass of a penny. The accuracy of the measurement is dependent on the precision of the oil drop apparatus and any external factors, such as air currents, that may affect the motion of the droplets. Additionally, the penny must have a uniform electric field for the experiment to be accurate.

5. Can Millikan's Law be applied to other objects besides a penny?

Yes, Millikan's Law can be applied to other objects besides a penny. Any object with a uniform electric field can be used in the oil drop experiment to determine the mass of a single electron. This can include other coins, small metal spheres, or even laboratory equipment designed specifically for this purpose.