Finding the Area or the Circumference of a gutter.

In summary, the conversation is about how to approach a math assignment involving finding the minimum perimeter for a fixed area. The question arises whether to focus on the area or circumference when considering the cost of materials. The conversation also discusses the relationship between perimeter and area, with the realization that the same perimeter can have varying areas. Finally, there is a question about how to incorporate area into the equation.
Liparulo
Hey Guys,
For a maths assignment, we were given this question to complete:
http://nrich.maths.org/5673

I'm having an discussion with a friend of how best to approach it. Should I work out and differentiate the area or perimeter (for the circle)? If we're finding the cost of materials, then circumference would be more appropriate than the area. Or should we look at both?
Sigh, isn't it always the most basic part of a problem that stumps us?
Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to minimize the perimeter (or circumference) for a fixed area.

The same perimeter can have a varying area, correct? Or would it be the same area every time? For example, if I curve a piece of paper, I can make the shape wider or smaller, but the perimeter stays the same. Is the area changing even though perimeter stays constant? Thanks.

Liparulo said:
The same perimeter can have a varying area, correct?

Yes. For any given perimeter p, you can range from the minimum area of 0 - by having a rectangle with length p/2 etc. - to the maximum area of...

So, (sorry to continue asking questions, but this is helping), would I find the perimeter of the circumference minus the perimeter of the arc? What role does area play in determining an equation?

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a gutter?

The formula for finding the area of a gutter is length x width. If the gutter has a rectangular shape, the formula would be length x width x height.

2. How do I measure the length and width of a gutter?

To measure the length and width of a gutter, use a tape measure and measure from one end to the other. If the gutter has a rectangular shape, measure the length and width of each side and multiply them together.

3. How do I find the circumference of a round gutter?

To find the circumference of a round gutter, use the formula 2πr, where r is the radius of the gutter. To find the radius, measure the distance from the center of the gutter to the edge.

4. Can I use the same formula for all types of gutters?

No, the formula for finding the area and circumference of a gutter may vary depending on the shape. Rectangular gutters use the formula length x width, while round gutters use the formula 2πr.

5. How can I calculate the area and circumference of an irregularly shaped gutter?

For irregularly shaped gutters, you may need to break it down into smaller, regular shapes and use the appropriate formula for each section. Then, add the areas or circumferences together to find the total for the entire gutter.