Proving Congruence Classes in Q[√-3] with Prime Divisor λ

• Thread starter Brimley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary: I'm sorry if I'm still misunderstanding, but can you provide a summary of the conversation? Thank you.In summary, the conversation is discussing congruence classes in Q[\sqrt{-3}] and trying to prove that if a prime in this field divides a rational integer, then 3 must also divide that integer. The conversation also touches on the concept of quadratic integers in this field and how they can be used to form equations with specific forms. It is noted that \sqrt3 is not an algebraic integer in this field and thus cannot be represented in the congruence classes discussed.
Brimley
Hello PhysicsForums!

I have been reading up on congruence classes and working out some examples. I came across one example that I seem to struggle understanding.

I've solved for [itex]\lambda[/itex] and I know that [itex]\lambda = (3+\sqrt{-3})/2[/itex] [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Q[\sqrt{-3}][/itex]. I also know that [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a prime in [itex]Q[\sqrt{-3}][/itex].

From here, I would like to prove that iff [itex]\lambda[/itex] divides [itex]a[/itex] for some rational integer [itex]a[/itex] in [itex]Z[/itex], it can be proven that 3 divides [itex]a[/itex].

Can this is done? If so, could someone show me?

Lastly (or as a second part to this), what are the congruence classes [itex] (mod (3+\sqrt{3})/2) [/itex] in [itex] Q[\sqrt{-3}] [/itex] ?

I really appreciate the help on this everyone!
*Note: I intentionally put [itex] (mod (3+\sqrt{3})/2) [/itex] with the [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex], so it should not be negative for this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
If [tex]\lambda \mid a, then N(\lambda) = 3 \mid a^2, [/tex] or that 3 divides a. Conversely, of course [tex]\lambda \mid 3[/tex]

It would seem there is no way you can arrive at [tex]\sqrt3[/tex] in this field since obviously it would not be [tex]R\sqrt-3 [/tex], or the Eisenstein integers. The positive and negatives of the quadratic field are not interchangeable.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
If [tex]\lambda \mid a, then N(\lambda) = 3 \mid a^2, [/tex] or that 3 divides a. Conversely, of course [tex]\lambda \mid 3[/tex]

Thank you robert!

Do you have an idea on the second part? (quoted below)
What are the congruence classes [itex] (mod (3+\sqrt{3})/2) [/itex] in [itex] Q[\sqrt{-3}] [/itex] ?

Brimley said:
Thank you robert!

Do you have an idea on the second part? (quoted below)

It would seem there is no way you can arrive at [tex] \sqrt3 [/tex] in this field since obviously it would not be with the [tex] \sqrt{ -3} [/tex] or the Eisenstein integers. The positive and negatives of the quadratic field are not interchangeable.

What happens is that we begin with the rationals and add the [tex]\sqrt X [/tex] to generate the field. The next step is to define and look for the quadratic integers in this set up.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
It would seem there is no way you can arrive at [tex] \sqrt3 [/tex] in this field since obviously it would not be with the [tex] \sqrt{ -3} [/tex] or the Eisenstein integers. The positive and negatives of the quadratic field are not interchangeable.

What happens is that we begin with the rationals and add the [tex]\sqrt X [/tex] to generate the field. The next step is to define and look for the quadratic integers in this set up.

Is that the same if you treat this as a separate problem entirely?

Perhaps if I word it like this it will be different (if not just say no):

"What are the congruence classes [itex] (mod (3+\sqrt{3})/2) [/itex] in [itex] Q[\sqrt{-3}][/itex] ?"

A quadratic integer, Eisenstein, is of the form [tex]a+b\omega[/tex] where [tex]\omega = \frac{-1+\sqrt-3}{2}[/tex] Here a and b are integers and [tex]\omega^3=1[/tex]. The form will satisfy an integral equation with the squared term unity. Here we have for the cube root of 1, [tex] 1+\omega+\omega^2 = 0 [/tex]. The roots of our quadratic are [tex]a+b\omega[/tex] [tex] a+b\omega^2 [/tex]

This gives then the form of X^2-(2a-b)X+a^2-ab+b^2. If we let a=1,b=2, we arrive at X^2+3 = 0.
The question is can we arrive at the form X^2-3 = 0. You can try to find that.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
A quadratic integer of the Eisenstein form is of the form [tex]a+b\omega[/tex] where [tex]\omega = \frac{-1+\sqrt-3}{2}[/tex]

I understood this, however I don't understand where you're going with this...

I tried to make this clear that [tex]\sqrt3[/tex] is not an algebratic integer in this set, so that it is useless to consider residue classes.

If you want to ajoin [tex]\sqrt3[/tex] to this set then you would no longer be talking about a quadratic integer.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
A quadratic integer, Eisenstein, is of the form [tex]a+b\omega[/tex] where [tex]\omega = \frac{-1+\sqrt-3}{2}[/tex] Here a and b are integers and [tex]\omega^3=1[/tex]. The form will satisfy an integral equation with the squared term unity. Here we have for the cube root of 1, [tex] 1+\omega+\omega^2 = 0 [/tex]. The roots of our quadratic are [tex]a+b\omega[/tex] [tex] a+b\omega^2 [/tex]

This gives then the form of X^2-(2a-b)X+a^2-ab+b^2. If we let a=1,b=2, we arrive at X^2+3 = 0.
The question is can we arrive at the form X^2-3 = 0. You can try to find that.

Okay, I just want to try and format your answer again to make sure I'm getting it right:
A quadratic integer, Eisenstein, is of the form [itex]a+b\omega[/itex] where [itex]\omega = \frac{-1+\sqrt-3}{2}[/itex] Here a and b are integers and [tex]\omega^3=1[/tex]. The form will satisfy an integral equation with the squared term unity. Here we have for the cube root of [itex]1[/itex], [tex] 1+\omega+\omega^2 = 0 [/tex]. The roots of our quadratic are:
Root1: [tex]a+b\omega[/tex]
Root1: [tex]a+b\omega^2[/tex]

This gives then the form of [itex]X^2-(2a-b)X+a^2-ab+b^2[/itex]. If we let [itex]a=1,b=2, [/itex] we arrive at [itex] X^2+3 = 0 [/itex].
The question is can we arrive at the form [itex]X^2-3 = 0 [/itex]. You can try to find that.

So what you're saying is we cannot find that form because we don't have [itex]\sqrt{-3}[/itex] in our mod statement, rather we have [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] which will prevent us from getting the statement of: [itex]X^2-3 = 0 [/itex] ?

The question is how is the form arrived at. First we start with the rationals, then we adjoin [tex]\sqrt-3[/tex] to this form and generate an expanded set of numbers. But that does not give us the form of [tex]\sqrt3[/tex]

After all, what is the point of trying to form "reside classes" of [tex] \pi [/tex] relative to the integers?

1. What are congruence classes in Q[√-3]?

Congruence classes in Q[√-3] are sets of rational numbers with the same remainder when divided by a specific prime divisor, λ. They form a group under addition and multiplication.

2. Why is proving congruence classes in Q[√-3] important?

Proving congruence classes in Q[√-3] is important in number theory and algebraic geometry, as it allows for a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of the field Q[√-3]. It also has applications in cryptography and coding theory.

3. How do you prove congruence classes in Q[√-3] with prime divisor λ?

The most common method for proving congruence classes in Q[√-3] with prime divisor λ is using the Chinese Remainder Theorem. This involves breaking down the congruence classes into smaller, more manageable sets and then using modular arithmetic to prove their congruence.

4. Can congruence classes in Q[√-3] be proven without using λ as the prime divisor?

Yes, it is possible to prove congruence classes in Q[√-3] using a different prime divisor. However, the choice of λ is important as it allows for a simpler and more efficient proof using the Chinese Remainder Theorem.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proving congruence classes in Q[√-3] with prime divisor λ?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of proving congruence classes in Q[√-3] with prime divisor λ. One example is in coding theory, where it is used to ensure the accuracy and integrity of transmitted data. It is also used in cryptography to create secure communication channels.