Cancer detection via smartphone app

In summary: However, the picture in the article is clearly misleading and more detailed description of the detection method is missing...
FAlonso
http://www.scientiaweb.com/2011/02/28/smartphone-app-that-helps-doctor-detect-cancer/

Researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston have developed a system to detect cancer in a patient that will save them from many painfully long tests needed otherwise.

Biology news on Phys.org
why would they put it on a phone and not use a larger version, that is more accurate and used by a trained professional this WILL over load doctors offices with hypochondriacs and other concerned people. but will on balance probably kill more than save. due to the over load of people that are not sick. plus the pic on the phone in the advert is of the stomach. so how the phone could amit the very high frequency wave to get all the hydrogen to line up and take a recording i think it is a fake or useless ether way i would not get it. good find these this are rarely seen to here compared to the amount of them that are out there.

FAlonso said:
http://www.scientiaweb.com/2011/02/28/smartphone-app-that-helps-doctor-detect-cancer/

Researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston have developed a system to detect cancer in a patient that will save them from many painfully long tests needed otherwise.

It looks like it needs a small MRI type sensor of some kind. Maybe that interfaces to the phone via Bluetooth?

When or who would ever use such a thing? I can see this being used by faith healers to "diagnose" cancer and then miraculously heal.

It's hard enough at times to make a diagnosis with traditional cat scans or MRIs read by experts.

Evo said:
When or who would ever use such a thing? I can see this being used by faith healers to "diagnose" cancer and then miraculously heal.

It's hard enough at times to make a diagnosis with traditional cat scans or MRIs read by experts.

100% agreed

I'd say, that any additional easy and cheap early warning system is good progress. It may be comparable to fecal occult blood test, false positive just mandates further monitoring. Still, the picture in the article is clearly misleading and more detailed description of the detection method is missing...

misnderstudge said:
why would they put it on a phone and not use a larger version, that is more accurate and used by a trained professional this WILL over load doctors offices with hypochondriacs and other concerned people. but will on balance probably kill more than save. due to the over load of people that are not sick. plus the pic on the phone in the advert is of the stomach. so how the phone could amit the very high frequency wave to get all the hydrogen to line up and take a recording i think it is a fake or useless ether way i would not get it. good find these this are rarely seen to here compared to the amount of them that are out there.

I think smartphone is just for start testing purposes. Perhaps they can devise a separate gadget for this purpose. I agree

What is "Cancer detection via smartphone app"?

"Cancer detection via smartphone app" refers to the use of mobile applications to detect the presence of cancer cells or tumors in the body. These apps use various methods such as analyzing images or detecting biomarkers to identify cancer in its early stages.

How accurate are these smartphone apps in detecting cancer?

The accuracy of smartphone apps for cancer detection varies depending on the specific app and its method of detection. Some apps have been found to have a high level of accuracy in detecting certain types of cancer, while others may be less reliable. It is important to do thorough research and consult with a medical professional before relying on these apps for cancer detection.

What are the potential benefits of using a smartphone app for cancer detection?

One potential benefit of using a smartphone app for cancer detection is the convenience and accessibility it provides. These apps can be used at any time and in any location, making it easier for individuals to monitor their health and potentially detect cancer in its early stages. Additionally, some apps may be more affordable than traditional cancer screening methods.

Are there any limitations or risks associated with using a smartphone app for cancer detection?

Yes, there are several limitations and risks associated with using smartphone apps for cancer detection. These apps may not be able to detect all types of cancer, and false positives or false negatives are possible. Additionally, relying solely on a smartphone app for cancer detection may delay or prevent individuals from seeking proper medical care and treatment.

Is "Cancer detection via smartphone app" regulated by any government agencies?

At this time, "Cancer detection via smartphone app" is not regulated by any government agencies. However, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued guidance for developers of mobile medical applications, including those used for cancer detection. It is important for individuals to research the app and its developers before using it for cancer detection.