Energy required to heat a house

In summary, the house loses 5440 W of thermal energy through the exterior walls and roof at a rate of 1833.5 J/s when the interior temperature is 23.4 C and the outside temperature is −6.6 C.
Runaway

Homework Statement

A) A house loses thermal energy through the exterior walls and roof at a rate of 5440 W when the interior temperature is 23.4 C and the outside temperature is −6.6 C.
Calculate the electric power required to maintain the interior temperature at Ti if the
electric power is used in electric resistance heaters (which convert all of the electricity
supplied to thermal energy).
Answer in units of W.

B) Find the electric power required to maintain the interior temperature at Ti if the electric
power is used to operate the compressor of a heat pump with a coefficient of performance
equal to 0.3 times the Carnot cycle value.
Answer in units of W.

Homework Equations

COP = Qh / W

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A is 5440 W because for the temperature to stay constant the energy leaving the house must be replaced at the same rate.

I'm not sure how to set up an equation for part B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Runaway said:
COP = Qh / W
I'm not sure how to set up an equation for part B.
What is the COP for a Carnot heat pump operating between these temperatures? What is .3 times that (actual COP)? Use that actual COP of the heat engine and the above equation to determine the amount of work (per second) required to deliver that same 5440 J of heat (per second).

AM

Cop = 296.55 k / (296.55 k - 266.55 k)
cop = 9.89
(5440 w * 9.89*.3) = 16140.48w

Runaway said:
Cop = 296.55 k / (296.55 k - 266.55 k)
cop = 9.89
(5440 w * 9.89*.3) = 16140.48w
I thought you said COP = Qh/W. What is this 16140 W supposed to be?

AM

I used COP = Qh/(Qh-Qc) = Th/(Th-Tc) to find the COP then I took that and multiplied it by the output * .3 and got 16140 J/S, or in other words, 16140 Watts

Runaway said:
I used COP = Qh/(Qh-Qc) = Th/(Th-Tc) to find the COP then I took that and multiplied it by the output * .3 and got 16140 J/S, or in other words, 16140 Watts
Yes. I see that. My question is why did you multiply COP by Qh? I thought you were supposed to find W.

AM

So if I follow you, the answer would be
COP = Qh/W
COP * W = Qh
W=Qh/COP
W= 5440 J/s/(9.89*.3) = 1833.5 J/s

Runaway said:
So if I follow you, the answer would be
COP = Qh/W
COP * W = Qh
W=Qh/COP
W= 5440 J/s/(9.89*.3) = 1833.5 J/s
Correct. Technically W is really power and Qh is really rate of heat flow: dW/dt = (dQh/dt)/COP

AM

Thanks for bearing with me and helping me figure it out :)

What is the definition of "energy required to heat a house"?

Energy required to heat a house refers to the amount of energy needed to increase the temperature of a house to a comfortable level. This includes the energy used to heat the air, water, and any other materials in the house.

What factors affect the amount of energy required to heat a house?

The amount of energy required to heat a house depends on several factors, including the size of the house, the climate, the insulation, and the efficiency of the heating system. A larger house in a colder climate with poor insulation will require more energy to heat compared to a smaller house in a mild climate with good insulation.

How is the energy required to heat a house calculated?

The energy required to heat a house can be calculated by multiplying the heat loss rate (determined by factors such as the size and insulation of the house) by the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the house. This calculation is typically measured in BTUs (British Thermal Units) or kilowatt-hours (kWh).

What are some ways to reduce the energy required to heat a house?

There are several ways to reduce the energy required to heat a house, including improving insulation, sealing air leaks, using a programmable thermostat, and upgrading to a more efficient heating system. Other factors such as using natural sunlight to heat the house and adjusting the thermostat to a lower temperature can also help reduce energy consumption.

Is the energy required to heat a house the same as the energy used by the heating system?

No, the energy required to heat a house is different from the energy used by the heating system. The heating system only uses a portion of the energy required to heat a house, as some energy is lost through factors such as heat transfer and air leaks. This is why it is important to improve the overall energy efficiency of a house to reduce energy consumption and costs.