ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: Those are great! The first one is my favorite-pure snow with a perfect sky.This shot is not of the caliber of many here, but I needed to get out and capture some fall colors today. This is a pair of apple trees at a scenic overlook dedicated to the Old Canada Road.
nismaratwork said:
Wait... "shrove" is the past tense of "shrift" right?... How does that turn into pancakes? :rofl:
Nope, past tense of "shrive", as in confess your sins to the priest and do your penance. Shrovetide was the old name for the period before the start of Lent.

You also had to eat all the perishable food that was forbidden in the 40 days of fasting in Lent- hence Mardi Gras, pancake day, etc.

Oh... the pubs... Oh, and "when somebody dies"... :bugeye: Good lord...

This isn't a wimpy sport like American Football where the players all wear body armor and there's a medical team to deal with injuries. If you finish up on the ground in the middle of the "hug", you don't expect anybody to blow a whistle to stop play and call an ambulance.

The last fatality was in 2008 IIRC. Actually he didn't die during the game, but in a bar afterwards. Probably a combination of physical exhaustion, mild hypothermia, and alcohol poisoning. Way to go. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
AlephZero said:
Nope, past tense of "shrive", as in confess your sins to the priest and do your penance. Shrovetide was the old name for the period before the start of Lent.

You also had to eat all the perishable food that was forbidden in the 40 days of fasting in Lent- hence Mardi Gras, pancake day, etc.

Ahhhhh! (I admit, I was thinking shrive, but I kept going back to "short shrift")... that makes a lot of sense actually.

AlephZero said:
This isn't a wimpy sport like American Football where the players all wear body armor and there's a medical team to deal with injuries. If you finish up on the ground in the middle of the "hug", you don't expect anybody to blow a whistle to stop play and call an ambulance.

The last fatality was in 2008 IIRC. Actually he didn't die during the game, but in a bar afterwards. Probably a combination of physical exhaustion, mild hypothermia, and alcohol poisoning. Way to go. :smile:

Hmmm... only one thing to add to that list that makes it the perfect death! :wink:

Andy Resnick said:
and I call this one "Defiance". [PLAIN]http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/4636/dsc4525.jpg[/QUOTE] [Broken]

turbo-1 said:
Ah, forsythias in the snow. A common occurrence here - still a welcome sign of spring.

I thought that too for a second but maybe it could be a Hamamelis instead.

I mean forsythias just start to open here while the season for Hamamelis is almost over, that's a real winter flower.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the UK there is a lot of variation in the flowering times of forysthias, though different plants are consistent from year to year. Some flower early March, but the one in my garden doesn't start till April, independent of the weather.

I don't know if they are different species or cultivars - they all look the pretty much the same.

My mother had forsythia, and hamamelis... I can't say that I could ever tell them apart! I am to botany what the bubonic plague is to lymph nodes; a big ugly and potentially lethal block.

Whatever it is, it reminds me of home, and familiar sights and sounds, smells and crisp (slightly damp) air. I like it.

Is it just me, or is there problem with Andy's images, I can see only 403 error images.

Borek said:
Is it just me, or is there problem with Andy's images, I can see only 403 error images.

I was able, now I see that message... I'm guessing the host took too many hits on this image.

Borek said:
It's not you. Same thing in the VOTE PF Photo Contest - Green With Envy thread.

Yar, they all be 403's now... *hangs head*, they be with the fishies now, and have mercy on their souls!

:smile:

403 is the Internet equivalent of a milder BSoD.
Both are part of the plot to take over the world.

FtlIsAwesome said:

I just love the term, "FORBIDDEN!"

Lets just get real and use the best word for that: ist, "VERBOTEN!"

Borek said:

nismaratwork said:
I was able, now I see that message... I'm guessing the host took too many hits on this image.

dlgoff said:
It's not you. Same thing in the VOTE PF Photo Contest - Green With Envy thread.

nismaratwork said:
Yar, they all be 403's now... *hangs head*, they be with the fishies now, and have mercy on their souls!

:smile:

FtlIsAwesome said:

nismaratwork said:
I just love the term, "FORBIDDEN!"

Lets just get real and use the best word for that: ist, "VERBOTEN!"

Doh! I deleted a bunch of images from imageshack (where the photos actually live), not realizing that it would carry over to here. Sorry, folks- won't happen again.

Andy Resnick said:
Doh! I deleted a bunch of images from imageshack (where the photos actually live), not realizing that it would carry over to here. Sorry, folks- won't happen again.
Aw, man.
I thought it was a computer uprising due to a y2k error that's been delayed for 11 years.

Last edited:
Andy Resnick said:

Oh senor... por que?! POR QUE??! "We try, but our land... it grows nothing!"

:wink:

Hey, I had a colleauge to accidentally wiped out a backup for a server, then in trying to fix it, corrupted the main drive. You made an hones error, without the boneheaded hell of true destruction.

Besides... it's kind of funny.

FtlIsAwesome said:
Aw, man.
I thought it was a computer uprising due to a y2k error that's been delayed for 11 years.

Ahhh.. the future of interactive gaming, "when you get hit with that laser... you get HIT with a laser."

Then again...

http://www.electricshock.org/electric-shock-games.html

nismaratwork said:
Ahhh.. the future of interactive gaming, "when you get hit with that laser... you get HIT with a laser."
You'll be the first test subject for this new technology.

(I'm mean. mwahaha.)

nismaratwork said:
Is there any gaming experience more immersive and realistic than this?

FtlIsAwesome said:
Is there any gaming experience more immersive and realistic than this?

'Death Race' ... I mean watching the movie, not the premise... I felt real pain and boredom that was visceral. Ugh... last time I go to the movies with that friend, although given the movie I should have known better.

Oh, and at one point there was a "how long can you hold this electrified rod" game at a cinema where I worked a summer job, many many moons ago. I used to built and play with Van De Graff generatora all the time as a kid, so I was REALLY used to shocks. I "beat" that game immidiately, and I have to say, it was pretty mindless. The only upside was that my co-workers thought I was some magicly tough guy... nope.

Gokul43201 said:
This announcement is a bit late for some parts of the world, but in any case...

If you enjoy the outdoors, you should look into attending the Banff Mountain Film Festival. It is awesome! The Festival features a collection of the year's coolest outdoor films and documentaries and has showings around the world.

Tour dates for the US are mostly in March-April, though NYC had theirs in Feb, I think, as did most of Canada. Dates in Europe run from Feb through April. See (under Worl Tour) here for more info: http://www.banffcentre.ca/mountainfestival/worldtour/ [Broken]

Promo video:

Gokul,

I viewed the embedded video, not expecting much, wow, that was some of the most incredible outdoor adventure shooting I have ever seen, especially the kayak scenes, through a gorge, etc... I will share with friends, and a co-worker who took his family there a few years ago, many thanks...

I love this place, where else will you find stuff and members who find and post stuff like this, nowhere, that's where...

Rhody... :biggrin:

Heh... coming from you Rhody, that means it was probably the least safe thing on the planet, and the most fun. :wink:

nismaratwork said:
Heh... coming from you Rhody, that means it was probably the least safe thing on the planet, and the most fun. :wink:
nismara,

The only more radical thing than shooting that narrow chasm in a kayak in the video would be to do it while chewing on a ghost pepper, now THAT would be radical.

Rhody... :redface:

Gokul43201 said:
This announcement is a bit late for some parts of the world, but in any case...

If you enjoy the outdoors, you should look into attending the Banff Mountain Film Festival.

In Poland it took place in Szczyrk, that's about two hours hike from the ridge picture I posted.

rhody said:
nismara,

The only more radical thing than shooting that narrow chasm in a kayak in the video would be to do it while chewing on a ghost pepper, now THAT would be radical.

Rhody... :redface:

Heh... and look, you're almost ready to do THAT! :rofl:

Borek said:
In Poland it took place in Szczyrk, that's about two hours hike from the ridge picture I posted.

Wow... do you have any pictures?

No, I wasn't at the Festival. I just learned that it took place in Szczyrk at the beginning of February, and earlier this week I was in Wisła.

Borek said:
No, I wasn't at the Festival. I just learned that it took place in Szczyrk at the beginning of February, and earlier this week I was in Wisła.

Hmmm... I like where you live and travel Borek.

edit: Did you climb the Stożek Wielki?

rhody said:
Gokul,

I viewed the embedded video, not expecting much, wow, that was some of the most incredible outdoor adventure shooting I have ever seen, especially the kayak scenes, through a gorge, etc...
Glad you liked it.

Incidentally, for those interested in paddling, the center of the paddlesport universe this weekend is in Madison, Wisconsin.
March 11 - 13, 2011, Madison

Canoecopia is the largest paddlesport expo in the world. Hosted by Rutabaga, Canoecopia features the best of the best paddlers from around the globe. Visitors will find hundreds of exhibitors, education, inspiration and access to great gear at great prices. Whether you're a paddlesport enthusiast or just curious about the sport, Canoecopia has something to offer everyone.

http://www.travelwisconsin.com/event_detail/Canoecopia.aspx
http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/page.asp?pgid=1046

It was crazy crowded today. Tomorrow may permit a little easier breathing.

nismaratwork said:
edit: Did you climb the Stożek Wielki?

I don't remember, but I find it hard to believe I didn't. I was in the area so many times for skiing and hiking, it would be surprising.

Now that I think about it, could be I was there with Marzena around '90. At least I remember the general direction of the hike and that suggests Stożek (Wielki means just "the great", Stożek means "cone"). I would not remember the situation if not for the fact that we were not able to take pictures - it was around -20 deg C (below zero F) and our camera refused to work.

Borek said:
I don't remember, but I find it hard to believe I didn't. I was in the area so many times for skiing and hiking, it would be surprising.

Now that I think about it, could be I was there with Marzena around '90. At least I remember the general direction of the hike and that suggests Stożek (Wielki means just "the great", Stożek means "cone"). I would not remember the situation if not for the fact that we were not able to take pictures - it was around -20 deg C (below zero F) and our camera refused to work.

Wow... oh wow... I'm sorry you didn't get pictures to share, but I'm glad that you and Marzena shared that kind of experience. Nothing brings a couple together like absurdly bitter cold on a mountain... maybe not romantic, but together nonetheless.

'Great Cone"... interesting. Thanks for the information Borek, I really do enjoy each bit of it, even if you may think it's esoteric.

If I might ask, what got you started in loving nature? For me, it was my grandfather, and through him my mother... I grew up with it and never grew out of that sheer wonder and pleasure of it all. I'd be intersted to know, if you're willing to share; If not, I completely understand.

@Gokul: You canoe in Madison in March?! That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Are you more of a canoe guy, or kayak... I tend towards the more open canoe, but Kayaking is one hell of a thrill. I found that it can be thrilling in still water if you manage to get upside down... :redface:

nismaratwork said:
f I might ask, what got you started in loving nature?

Mostly my Mom, but to some extent both parents. Just that my Mom was more of an active type, go there, hike there, see that, while my Dad loved to go to the country (the further from the city, the better) but not to walk/hike, but to socialize... I guess I am somewhere in between.

Borek said:
Mostly my Mom, but to some extent both parents. Just that my Mom was more of an active type, go there, hike there, see that, while my Dad loved to go to the country (the further from the city, the better) but not to walk/hike, but to socialize... I guess I am somewhere in between.

Hmmmm... sounds like a good time, and an intersting contrast. Thanks Borek.

nismaratwork said:
@Gokul: You canoe in Madison in March?! That actually sounds like a lot of fun.
Th paddling season won't start until sometime in April. But the serious paddlers (I'm not one) probably already have itchy hands. I'd rather have a few months of snow and ice for skiing and climbing.

Are you more of a canoe guy, or kayak... I tend towards the more open canoe, but Kayaking is one hell of a thrill.
A little bit of both, though I enjoy kayaking more - not seriously into either. But Wisconsin being the paddling haven that it is, I might get more into it.

I found that it can be thrilling in still water if you manage to get upside down... :redface:
A good safety rule, although perhaps a little more on the cautious side than most advocate, is to learn to roll before doing solo kayak trips.

Gokul43201 said:
Th paddling season won't start until sometime in April. But the serious paddlers (I'm not one) probably already have itchy hands. I'd rather have a few months of snow and ice for skiing and climbing.

A little bit of both, though I enjoy kayaking more - not seriously into either. But Wisconsin being the paddling haven that it is, I might get more into it.

A good safety rule, although perhaps a little more on the cautious side than most advocate, is to learn to roll before doing solo kayak trips.

Fortunately I did just that... in fact that's why I was upside down in still water. Really, there's no way to learn but to do it, and as you know it's one hell of a thing until you get used to it.

When it comes to Kayaking, Maine is a great place to hit the sea and open water... although something about the cooperation and stately pace of canoeing always found a home in my heart.

I'm glad that you've found yourself in a haven for a hobby you love.

A friend sent this, and I thought it worth posting, seems this male bird is suppressing the females protests by taking action on his own:

Here is the caption on the image that I received:

When a male can't take it anymore:

(a photographer can die of old age waiting for a shot like this!)

2v16991.jpg

Rhody... :rolleyes:

rhody said:
A friend sent this, and I thought it worth posting, seems this male bird is suppressing the females protests by taking action on his own:

Here is the caption on the image that I received:

When a male can't take it anymore:

(a photographer can die of old age waiting for a shot like this!)

2v16991.jpg

Rhody... :rolleyes:

Wow, that is one amazing picture...

...Where's the follow-up when the lady-bird kicks him in the cloaca?

<h2>1. What is "ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest"?</h2><p>"ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest" is an annual photography competition that celebrates the beauty of nature and the great outdoors. It is open to all photographers, both amateur and professional, and encourages participants to capture stunning images of landscapes, wildlife, and outdoor activities.</p><h2>2. How can I enter the contest?</h2><p>To enter the contest, simply submit your photos through the designated entry form on the official website. You can submit up to five photos per person, and all entries must be original and taken by the participant.</p><h2>3. What are the judging criteria for the contest?</h2><p>The photos will be judged based on their creativity, composition, technical excellence, and overall impact. The judges will also consider how well the photos capture the theme of the contest, which is the great outdoors.</p><h2>4. Are there any prizes for the winners?</h2><p>Yes, there are prizes for the top three winners of the contest. The first-place winner will receive a cash prize, while the second and third-place winners will receive gift cards and other outdoor photography-related prizes.</p><h2>5. Can I use photo editing software on my entries?</h2><p>Minor adjustments such as cropping and color correction are allowed, but any major alterations or use of filters will result in disqualification. The judges are looking for natural and authentic photos that accurately represent the beauty of the great outdoors.</p>

1. What is "ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest"?

"ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest" is an annual photography competition that celebrates the beauty of nature and the great outdoors. It is open to all photographers, both amateur and professional, and encourages participants to capture stunning images of landscapes, wildlife, and outdoor activities.

2. How can I enter the contest?

To enter the contest, simply submit your photos through the designated entry form on the official website. You can submit up to five photos per person, and all entries must be original and taken by the participant.

3. What are the judging criteria for the contest?

The photos will be judged based on their creativity, composition, technical excellence, and overall impact. The judges will also consider how well the photos capture the theme of the contest, which is the great outdoors.

4. Are there any prizes for the winners?

Yes, there are prizes for the top three winners of the contest. The first-place winner will receive a cash prize, while the second and third-place winners will receive gift cards and other outdoor photography-related prizes.

5. Can I use photo editing software on my entries?

Minor adjustments such as cropping and color correction are allowed, but any major alterations or use of filters will result in disqualification. The judges are looking for natural and authentic photos that accurately represent the beauty of the great outdoors.