Register to reply

Deriving the MGF for the Weibull Distribution

by donald17
Tags: deriving, distribution, weibull
Share this thread:
donald17
Apr12-11, 02:55 PM
P: 6
I'm attempting to derive the MGF for the Weibull distribution. I know that E([tex]e^{tx}[/tex]), which equals the integral shown here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integrate%5Be^%28t*x%29*%28k%2F%CE%BB%29*%28x%2F%CE%BB%29^%28k-1%29*e^-%28x%2F%CE%BB%29^k%2Cx%5D

where the parameters are k and λ.

The answer is found here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Sum%5B%28t^n+%CE%BB^n%29%2Fn%21%2C+{n%2C+0%2C+Infinity}%5D*gamma%281 %2B%281%2Fk%29%29

So I see that I need to get the gamma function and the series representation for e^(t*λ) to show up in order to get the right answer. I've been trying to use a change of variable such as u = (x/λ)^k, and I feel like I've been getting close, but can't exactly get it right. Can someone guide me along with this? Thank you.

*For some reason it keeps putting a space in the URL, so just take them out
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Stephen Tashi
Apr12-11, 07:12 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,300
Those links you gave might be temporary URLs. I didn't get the first one to work.
donald17
Apr12-11, 08:16 PM
P: 6
In the first url try copy and pasting the whole thing, but taking out the space between the 2 and the F

Similarly, for the second url take out the space between the I and the nfinity. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll attempt to repost what I'm trying to show in another format.

Register to reply