Raising Chickens: Baby Chicks to ½ Grown

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation is about chickens and their progress. The thread starter posted a picture of baby chicks and other members shared pictures and stories of their own chickens. They discussed the different breeds and behaviors of chickens and even the reasons why non-fertilized eggs are still laid. Some members also shared funny stories about their experiences with chickens. The conversation ends with a compliment on the poster's brood of chickens.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought I'd start this thread to keep Evo posted on her chickens progress.

Baby chicks first picture
[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33980&d=1301871732 [Broken]

Chickens as of today (>½ grown)
attachment.php?attachmentid=35562&stc=1&d=1305404397.jpg

Attachments

• ½chicken.jpg
    ½chicken.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 937
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Rhody's perhaps ?

Rhody... :redface: :biggrin:

Aww, thanks Don! Roger is soooo adorable!

I came here looking for why the chickens cross the road :blushing:.

I hoped for a chick pictures - can't say there were none.

How about some chick flicks?

What are you going to do with these? Cause I'm kinda hungry...

Evo said:
Roger is soooo adorable!

Yea. And she's got that Evo look. :!)

pergradus said:
What are you going to do with these? Cause I'm kinda hungry...

308046.jpg

Need I say more?

rootX said:
I came here looking for why the chickens cross the road :blushing:.
lol.

They look so cute and healthy!

Chickens are so funny! I want chickens too! big ones!

though, one thing I don't get is, why do they still lay eggs if the eggs are not fertilised? it doesn't make biological sense!

nucleargirl said:
though, one thing I don't get is, why do they still lay eggs if the eggs are not fertilised? it doesn't make biological sense!

In their normal environment they are being constantly sexually harassed by cocks, in effect there is no such thing as not fertilized egg. In other words - mechanism that would stop lying eggs would not give them any evolutionary benefits.

Borek said:
In their normal environment they are being constantly sexually harassed by cocks, in effect there is no such thing as not fertilized egg. In other words - mechanism that would stop lying eggs would not give them any evolutionary benefits.

Not only that, they know what could happen if they don't lay eggs.

dlgoff said:

I love chicken and dumplings :!)

lisab said:
I love chicken and dumplings :!)
Bisquick fluffy cloud dumplings. Not the noodles.

Funny how there are two camps for dumplings. On the TV show, Top Chef, one contestant was to make one of Jimmy Fallon's favorite foods, and one chef got "chicken & dumplings". She made the flat noodle type and he hated it. Jimmy liked the fluffy round dumplings, so the judge told her real dumplings are soft fluffy round puffs, not flat noodle type things, and she almost had to leave the show.

dlgoff said:

A "townie" work colleague of mine moved to a house with a big garden, and decided to keep some chickens. Everything went fine, till the egg production started to dwindle and they decided to eat one of them when some friends were visiting.

This was a complete disaster - effectively, raw chicken foir dinner. The guy didn't realize that a chicken that has spent its life running around outside has a lot more muscle and a lot less fat than one bought from a supermarket!

AlephZero said:
A "townie" work colleague of mine moved to a house with a big garden, and decided to keep some chickens. Everything went fine, till the egg production started to dwindle and they decided to eat one of them when some friends were visiting.

This was a complete disaster - effectively, raw chicken foir dinner. The guy didn't realize that a chicken that has spent its life running around outside has a lot more muscle and a lot less fat than one bought from a supermarket!

Years ago when I still had a lot of "townie" in me, it wasn't a old hen but a old rooster. Live and learn I guess. :redface:

btw It was well cooked but had the consistency of my shoe sole.

rhody said:
Rhody's perhaps ?

Rhody... :redface: :biggrin:
Yep, they look like a Rhody-Sussex cross..
Our hens were out free ranging, having a great ol' time, kicking up leaves
looking for grubs. A notagoshawk swooped down an ate one of our Rhody's. :frown:

Last edited:

Ouabache said:
looking for grubs. A notagoshawk swooped down an ate one of our Rhody's. :frown:

I haven't gotten around to making a predator proof cage outside the coop yet so they haven't experienced the outdoors. This afternoon when I was tending then, I opened the coop door and watched them come to the doors edge an look out but were afraid to come out. However [STRIKE]George[/STRIKE] Roger came, took a look out, put her head over the door jam and got ready to jump out. I said, "Hey". She's smart and changed her mind. Good Chicken.

BTW I covered the floor with wheat straw a few days ago to give them some scratch.

Last edited:

Ouabache said:
Nooooo! :cry:

dlgoff said:
I haven't gotten around to making a predator proof cage outside the coop yet so they haven't experienced the outdoors. This afternoon when I was tending then, I opened the coop door and watched them come to the doors edge an look out but were afraid to come out. However [STRIKE]George[/STRIKE] Roger came, took a look out, put her head over the door jam and got ready to jump out. I said, "Hey". She's smart and changed her mind. Good Chicken.

BTW I covered the floor with wheat straw a few days ago to give them some scratch.
George is another of my favorite animal names! Protect my baby! Make sure they don't go out in the open where notagoshawks can get them.

Evo said:
Protect my baby! Make sure they don't go out in the open where notagoshawks can get them.

When I get their outside pen completed, it'll be covered just for that reason. Roger will be in good hands.

Here's Roger this afternoon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36286&stc=1&d=1307664841.jpg

And with her friends.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36287&stc=1&d=1307664841.jpg

Now she's showing off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=36288&stc=1&d=1307664841.jpg

Attachments

• chicken_1.jpg
    chicken_1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 612
  • chicken_2.jpg
    chicken_2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 752
  • chicken_3.jpg
    chicken_3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 583

Nice looking brood, Don :approve:! Did all of them survive their chickhood?

<Gasp> He's beeutiful! I have the fist male egg laying chicken. :approve:

lisab said:
Nice looking brood, Don :approve:! Did all of them survive their chickhood?

Thanks. Yep. Six out of six. :smile:

Evo said:
<Gasp> He's beeutiful! I have the fist male egg laying chicken. :approve:

You sure you want to eat those eggs now? :rofl:

Don,

I ran into this and thought I would post it, kittens make good baby chick guards...

33ohdhx.jpg

Rhody... :devil:

rhody said:
Don,

I ran into this and thought I would post it, kittens make good baby chick guards...

33ohdhx.jpg

Rhody... :devil:
Awww, but don't let BobG see it, we all know what happened when his chick met the cat...:cry:

rhody said:
33ohdhx.jpg

:!)

Roger is starting to act like a rooster. When I open the door to the coop, she throws up a wing and wants to attack my foot. Hope she/he can still lay eggs. :confused:

Any spurs visible yet?

Even if you got lucky and have 6 hens, there is always one dominant hen that decides to pretend to be a rooster.

Ms Music said:
Any spurs visible yet?

Even if you got lucky and have 6 hens, there is always one dominant hen that decides to pretend to be a rooster.

Well that explains it. Roger must be the dominant one. No spurs that I can see.

dlgoff said:
Well that explains it. Roger must be the dominant one. No spurs that I can see.

I've been building an 8' X 8' cage attached to the chicken coop where they can get outside when they want to sun. I've been letting them out while I'm working on the cage and it's clear that Roger is the dominating hen. Whatever she does or wherever she goes the others follow. Today she decided to peck around on my shoes and all the others wanted a piece of the action.

Perfect choice Evo. Everyone loves her. :smile:

dlgoff said:
I've been building an 8' X 8' cage attached to the chicken coop where they can get outside when they want to sun. I've been letting them out while I'm working on the cage and it's clear that Roger is the dominating hen. Whatever she does or wherever she goes the others follow. Today she decided to peck around on my shoes and all the others wanted a piece of the action.

Perfect choice Evo. Everyone loves her. :smile:
Don't give her a banning gun!

<h2>1. What is the best way to care for baby chicks?</h2><p>The best way to care for baby chicks is to provide them with a warm and clean environment, proper nutrition, and access to fresh water. It is important to keep their brooder temperature between 90-95°F for the first week and decrease it by 5°F each week until they are fully feathered.</p><h2>2. How often should I feed my baby chicks?</h2><p>Baby chicks should be fed a high-quality chick starter feed 3-4 times a day. Make sure to provide enough feed for all the chicks to eat, but avoid overfeeding as it can lead to health problems.</p><h2>3. When can I move my chicks to a coop?</h2><p>Chicks can be moved to a coop once they are fully feathered, usually around 6-8 weeks of age. Make sure the coop is clean, secure, and has enough space for the chicks to roost and move around.</p><h2>4. How do I prevent my chicks from getting sick?</h2><p>To prevent sickness in chicks, make sure to keep their environment clean and dry. Provide them with clean water and feed, and avoid overcrowding. It is also important to practice good biosecurity measures, such as washing your hands before and after handling the chicks.</p><h2>5. Can I keep baby chicks with adult chickens?</h2><p>No, it is not recommended to keep baby chicks with adult chickens. Adult chickens can harm or even kill the chicks, and they may also pass on diseases to the vulnerable chicks. It is best to keep them separated until the chicks are fully grown.</p>

1. What is the best way to care for baby chicks?

The best way to care for baby chicks is to provide them with a warm and clean environment, proper nutrition, and access to fresh water. It is important to keep their brooder temperature between 90-95°F for the first week and decrease it by 5°F each week until they are fully feathered.

2. How often should I feed my baby chicks?

Baby chicks should be fed a high-quality chick starter feed 3-4 times a day. Make sure to provide enough feed for all the chicks to eat, but avoid overfeeding as it can lead to health problems.

3. When can I move my chicks to a coop?

Chicks can be moved to a coop once they are fully feathered, usually around 6-8 weeks of age. Make sure the coop is clean, secure, and has enough space for the chicks to roost and move around.

4. How do I prevent my chicks from getting sick?

To prevent sickness in chicks, make sure to keep their environment clean and dry. Provide them with clean water and feed, and avoid overcrowding. It is also important to practice good biosecurity measures, such as washing your hands before and after handling the chicks.

5. Can I keep baby chicks with adult chickens?

No, it is not recommended to keep baby chicks with adult chickens. Adult chickens can harm or even kill the chicks, and they may also pass on diseases to the vulnerable chicks. It is best to keep them separated until the chicks are fully grown.