Two-Stroke Engine Tuning: Maximizing Performance

• Thread starter Ayrity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engines
In summary, the author built a small 2-stroke engine using an internally geared hub and a 20" wheel rim. He plans to tune the engine using adjustments to the expansion chamber design and a valve on the exhaust port to prevent "mileage" and
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Regarding Cliff's post, you should also consider reliability. As soon as anything goes wrong with your solenoid or controlling system, or anything in between, there's a good risk of killing your engine when the valves hit the piston.

i have class soon, and will respond in full more later, but just to touch on your post brewnog, luckily the B+S engine I have is pretty low compression, and if i mod the engine to be OHV i can choose the height of my head and valves over the piston, and with a big enough blower, that won't be a problem.

Hola, Ayrity

Joined PF so I could get in on your discussion regarding 2-cycles and injection.

I own an ancient 1973 Yamaha scooter called a U7e. It looks like a moped <em>sans</em> pedals. It's a single-cylinder, 80cc, and for reasons I can't figure out, I'm quite fond of it. Maybe "character" is of more value than little traits like "reliability"?

The pollution issue is really getting up my nose, as it were. There are tweaks--using different oils, keeping the machine in tune, etc. But the best available solution seems to be adding fuel injection, ideally direct injection. According to the miles of what I've read out here on the weerd wibe wob, properly tuned injection can bring a 2-cycle down to California ULEV status (probably not THIS one, but any improvement is an improvement).

Since it seems no-one's doing commercial conversion, I am left with experimentation on my own. It'll be slow going, but I intend to try and create a bolt-on system similar to the U of Colorado mini-taxi conversion gadget pictured here:http://www.envirofit.org/technology/kit.php [Broken]

I don't think it's actually as complex as it looks. I hope it ain't.

Anyway, since you seemed to have questions along the same line, I thought I'd quit lurking and chime in on the chorus.

Recent thought: Your bike engine might be small enough to make use of scavenged parts from a scooter salvage yard. Many late models from Honda, Aprilla, et al, come with injection systems.

Re exhaust valves: howabout a simple valve held closed with a spring and opened by chamber pressure ... Or an adaptation of the leaf valves many 2-strokes use for intake control?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your idea for a valve in the exhaust in the form of a fenestrated disc is a poor one I'm afraid.
You would have major problems with both sealing, friction and lubrication. You would also have to deal with uneven heat distribution within the disc itself, not to mention the problem of carbon build-up (always a problem in conventional two-strokes).
Ad to this the increased weight of your drive mechanism, which would require some form of dwell period and things don't look too good.
Why not have a look at the Yamaha power valve system for ideas, instead!

i've been reading on this string. why are you worried about the waist of gasses out the exhaust. if the gasses doesn't suspend fuel. direct injection! much like a 2 stroke detroit diesel. supercharged and with direct injection, there is no waist of fuel on the return trip of the piston. the spray of fuel starts as soon as the piston rings pass by the exhaust port. and the inrush of air is pushed in by forced induction system. supercharger, and that only, a supercharger can start the engine with cranking rotation. a turbo can't start the combustion process. unless you pre-spool the shaft before firing the combustion process. breathing the cylinder with air. this would make the engine the best a 2 stroke could be. the less parts the better. the more simple the parts the better. the fewer reciprocal parts the better. kiss, keep it simple stupid. there would be no wasted oil mix in the fuel. sealed crankcase, much like a fore stroke. this is the best of the best in 2 stroke ideas. and it can be multi-fuel operated. given a varied emission output. just a thought.

Yes, direct fuel injection would indeed appear to be the answer. The problem is, however, that at high speeds, there is very little time available after exhaust closing to allow sufficient fuel to be injected before the point of ignition, (typically less than 2msec.) in a conventional, piston ported, two-stroke engine.
Earlier injection would only result in short-circuiting of the charge, hence fuel lost to the exhaust.

ok, then multiple high flow injectors in the head, should cover the fuel needs and a balanced air fuel mix across the piston, with a centrally located spark gap plug. may cover the needs.

i never saw a bore size. so this may be a problem. with size limiting factors for extra injectors. so how many can be mounted in a given space without detrimental head strength loss.

It's the actual time available for injection that's the problem. I have discussed this with Siemens technical staff.

The problem with 2 strokes is scavenging and overlap.

Direct injection does away with the issue of overlap allowing unburnt fuel/air being passed through without being combusted by only adding fuel after the ports are closed.

Direct injection also helps scavenging because it allows manufacturers to achieve much higher percentage of scavenging because they are no longer worried about passing fuel along with the air through the engine unburnt.

This allows for port or valve timing schemes that are more favorable for power production.

For gasoline engines, Goliath cars used direct injection as far back as 1952 to clean up their two-strokes.

OMC made outboards with direct injected two strokes in 1996 but you have to wonder why so many outboard makers have an ever increasing percentage of 4-stroke engines in their lineup every year.

If it were only so simple, then we would have Saab two-strokes, Trabants, Warburgs, and NSU's dominating the Automotive market, but we don't, because direct injection is not the magic wand for the genre.
We don't have any two-stroke motorcycles being manufactured currently, not even for racing.

if its a time issue, wouldn't the addition of more injectors put the proper fuel mix into the cylinder. or is this because it wouldn't have time to spread the fuel about the area fast enough to mix properly. even using fast spraying high flow injectors. but it that's still the problem. so how about the use of exhaust valves like in the detroit diesels. like the v6 71 run in semi-tractors. but with less stroke. for faster running engines. and less compression for gas or run a higher compression for propane or other high no knock fuels. you would defeat the issue of time to have a good spread of fuel across the cyl. by using a valve train. but going back to having a rpm limit and issues with a 4 stroke. but power would still be in abundance of power. having a power strokes on every return trip to tdc. and with the forced induction system. you can still get a clean cyl. every time too. just calculate the time to clean out the cyl, and pressure flow factors of the forced induction system, then there you go. because a drtroit diesel has the fastest running diesel out there to date. and as you know diesels don't turn up that high in rpm's. but detroits do. over 3800 rpm's, more than a cummings or cat ever thought about.

more 4 stokes, is because of epa reg's that all, but put a valve train on the exhaust side and a forced induction system. this will clean the old burnt fuel, for the new air charge. and there you go. with the time to have direct injection.

If only life was that simple for the two-stroke! The problem with poppet exhaust valves is two-fold. a) the tremendous amount of heat that needs to be dealt with at high bmep's, due to the extra power strokes, and b) inertia loading on the valve train, limiting rpm.

ok, did i say poppet valves. i said valves. just like those used in a 4 stroke engine. research the detroit engine. from and inline 2 to a v24 they used mushroom valves just as those in all cars & trucks and alike. using a cam, rockers, springs and push rods. only on the exhaust side, every thing else is normal two stroke, but a sealed crankcase. no carter influence involved on the induction system. being a forced induction. you can use any fuel type on it being a direct injection system. like i stated. look up the detroit diesel engine. then get back to me on this and say it won't work. because it has already worked before. http://www.expertdiesel.com/71series.htm this is just one lead to what I'm stating.

<h2>1. What is a two-stroke engine?</h2><p>A two-stroke engine is a type of internal combustion engine that completes a power cycle in two strokes of the piston (one up, one down). This is in contrast to a four-stroke engine, which completes a power cycle in four strokes of the piston (two up, two down).</p><h2>2. How can I maximize the performance of my two-stroke engine?</h2><p>There are several ways to maximize the performance of a two-stroke engine. These include proper carburetor tuning, optimizing the air-to-fuel ratio, using high-quality fuel and oil, and regularly maintaining and replacing worn parts.</p><h2>3. What is carburetor tuning and why is it important?</h2><p>Carburetor tuning involves adjusting the air and fuel mixture to achieve the optimal ratio for the engine. This is important because an incorrect ratio can result in poor engine performance and potentially damage the engine.</p><h2>4. Can I use any type of fuel and oil in my two-stroke engine?</h2><p>No, it is important to use the recommended type of fuel and oil for your specific engine. Using the wrong type can lead to engine damage and reduced performance.</p><h2>5. How often should I maintain my two-stroke engine?</h2><p>Regular maintenance is crucial for the optimal performance of a two-stroke engine. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance, but generally, it is advised to check and replace spark plugs, clean the air filter, and replace worn parts every 25-50 hours of use.</p>

1. What is a two-stroke engine?

A two-stroke engine is a type of internal combustion engine that completes a power cycle in two strokes of the piston (one up, one down). This is in contrast to a four-stroke engine, which completes a power cycle in four strokes of the piston (two up, two down).

2. How can I maximize the performance of my two-stroke engine?

There are several ways to maximize the performance of a two-stroke engine. These include proper carburetor tuning, optimizing the air-to-fuel ratio, using high-quality fuel and oil, and regularly maintaining and replacing worn parts.

3. What is carburetor tuning and why is it important?

Carburetor tuning involves adjusting the air and fuel mixture to achieve the optimal ratio for the engine. This is important because an incorrect ratio can result in poor engine performance and potentially damage the engine.

4. Can I use any type of fuel and oil in my two-stroke engine?

No, it is important to use the recommended type of fuel and oil for your specific engine. Using the wrong type can lead to engine damage and reduced performance.

5. How often should I maintain my two-stroke engine?

Regular maintenance is crucial for the optimal performance of a two-stroke engine. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance, but generally, it is advised to check and replace spark plugs, clean the air filter, and replace worn parts every 25-50 hours of use.