Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Libraries

In summary, the author is having issues locating a valid Orcad Capture PSpice library with the 1N4000 series of diodes. He downloaded Diode.olb, but when he simulated, he got an error such as "ERROR -- Model D1N4009 used by D_D2 is undefined". He needs a *.olb diode library with associated simulation profiles. He found one that might work, but he needs help from the person who created the library to add it to his simulation profile.
niehaoma
It seems I am having issues locating a valid Orcad Capture PSpice library with the 1N4000 series of diodes. I have downloaded Diode.olb, however when I simulate, I get an error such as: "ERROR -- Model D1N4009 used by D_D2 is undefined"

From my understanding, this arises due to the fact the part does not have associated PSpice simulation characteristics. I downloaded some other diode libraries, but no 4000 series parts were present. I also went to manufacturers website (e.g. Fairchild) and downloaded specific diode models, but they only come in *.lib, which Orcad doesn't seem to like. I need *.olb libraries.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to a *.olb diode library with the 4000 series that has associated simulation profiles?

As a note, this is for a class. I have to use a 4000 series diode, e,g, 4001-4009. In addition, the reason I am running into issues is I am trying to work from my laptop, so I have the 16.3 Demo ["Lite"] version running, which has a limited set of starter libraries included.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll have a look at this question when I get back to work on Monday. I'll see what libraries I'm using, and also post information about a great book for Modeling Semiconductors in SPICE. That's what I use to fine-tune my semiconductor models...

Last edited:
I did a quick search at Amazon, and found the book that I have at work:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=semicond...i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss&tag=pfamazon01-20

And this one looks even more applicable to your OrCAD PSPICE package:

So my McroCAP SPICE simulator at work has lots of diode models built-in. Here is the model for the 1N4001 diode, in case it helps.

Likes anorlunda
Add nom.lib from the installation folder (C:\Cadence\SPB_17.2\tools\library\capture\pspice\nom.lib) to your simulation profile. Also add the library that holds the diode to your simulation profile. This should solve the problem.

Likes berkeman

1. What is Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library?

Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library is a collection of diode models that can be used in the Orcad Capture software for circuit simulation. These models represent the behavior of various types of diodes, such as rectifier diodes, zener diodes, and Schottky diodes.

2. How do I access the Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library?

The Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library is included in the standard installation of Orcad Capture. To access it, simply open the Orcad Capture software and click on the "Place" button in the toolbar. Then, select "PSPICE Component" and choose "Diode" from the list of available components.

3. Can I add custom diode models to the Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library?

Yes, you can add custom diode models to the Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library. To do so, you will need to create a new library file and add your diode model to it. Then, you can import this library file into Orcad Capture and use your custom diode model in your circuit simulations.

4. Are the diode models in the Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library accurate?

The diode models in the Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library are based on manufacturer datasheets and are generally accurate. However, it is important to note that these models are simplified representations of real diodes, and may not accurately capture all of the intricacies of a specific diode's behavior. It is always recommended to verify the results of your simulations with real-world measurements.

5. Can I use the Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library for high frequency circuit simulations?

The Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library is designed for low and medium frequency circuit simulations. If you are working with high frequency circuits, it is recommended to use a specialized library that includes diode models specifically optimized for high frequency simulations. However, the Orcad Capture PSpice Diode Library can still be useful for initial design and analysis of high frequency circuits.