Oscillation of a spring - pulley system

In summary, a massless spring with a constant of k=196 N/m is used to suspend a mass of M=1.45 kg (including the pulley). The frequency of simple harmonic motion in this system is 2.62 Hz, calculated using the equation f = (1/2π)√(k/m). The rope and pulley arrangement effectively doubles the force felt by the mass, making the system behave as though there are two springs with the same k value.
ineedhelp1234
A massless spring of constant k=196 N/m is used to suspend the mass M=1.45 kg (including the pulley), as shown in the attached figure. What is the frequency of simple harmonic motion?

Relevant equations
f = 1/period
T = 2pi*sqrt(M/k)
Tension = 1/2Mg

What I tried...
T(tension on spring) = 1/2Mg <-- since each rope has equal tension?? with that, I found that the mass acting on the spring would be M/2 since the tension is half of the weight?? I feel like this may be where I'm going wrong..

f = 1/(period) = (1/2pi)*sqrt(k/m)
f = 2.62 /hz

I know I'm doing something wrong, I'm just not sure how what I need to change. Any explanations would be great!

Attachments

• pulley -spring question physics.png
    pulley -spring question physics.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,149
Physics news on Phys.org
The tension in the rope is going to vary as the mass moves up and down (this should be obvious, as the spring will change length and so must "administer" a force -kΔx accordingly).

Something to consider is the fact that, thanks to the rope and pulley, the other side of the rope (without the spring) is always going to have the same tension as the side with the spring. This assumes a massless pulley without friction or rotational inertia of course.

Since the tension versus displacement is the same for both ropes, the system behaves as though BOTH ropes have a spring in them! So what is the effective spring constant for two springs in parallel?

Okay that makes a lot of sense :) Would the k of the spring then equal the k of the rope? So k(eff) = 2k ?

ineedhelp1234 said:
Okay that makes a lot of sense :) Would the k of the spring then equal the k of the rope? So k(eff) = 2k ?

Strictly speaking the ideal massless rope doesn't have a spring constant, but I understand what you mean :smile: Yes, the system behaves as though the "solid" rope were another spring of the same k.

In reality, that rope and pulley arrangement doubles the force that the mass feels from the spring for a given Δx of the spring.

Great job on using the relevant equations to try and solve for the frequency of the simple harmonic motion in the given system. However, there are a few errors in your approach. Firstly, the tension in the spring is not equal to half the weight of the mass. The tension in the spring is equal to the weight of the mass plus the weight of the pulley, which is equal to (M+M/2)g = 1.5Mg. This is because the mass of the pulley also contributes to the tension in the spring.

Secondly, when finding the period of the motion, you should use the total mass (M+M/2) instead of just the mass M. This is because the entire system is oscillating, not just the mass M. So the correct equation would be T = 2pi*sqrt((M+M/2)/k).

Finally, when finding the frequency, you should use the equation f = 1/T, which gives a frequency of approximately 2.62 Hz, as you correctly calculated.

In summary, the correct approach would be to use the total mass (M+M/2) and the total tension (1.5Mg) in the relevant equations to find the frequency of the simple harmonic motion in the given system. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a spring-pulley system?

A spring-pulley system is a mechanical system that consists of a spring and a pulley, which are connected to each other. The spring provides a restoring force, while the pulley allows the system to change direction.

2. How does a spring-pulley system oscillate?

A spring-pulley system oscillates due to the force of the spring and the inertia of the pulley. When the system is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a restoring force that causes the pulley to accelerate in the opposite direction. This back-and-forth motion creates an oscillation.

3. What factors affect the oscillation of a spring-pulley system?

The oscillation of a spring-pulley system is affected by several factors, including the mass of the pulley, the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. The presence of friction and air resistance may also affect the system's oscillation.

4. How is the period of oscillation calculated for a spring-pulley system?

The period of oscillation for a spring-pulley system can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant. This formula assumes that there is no friction or air resistance in the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of a spring-pulley system?

Spring-pulley systems are commonly used in various machines and devices, such as exercise equipment, clocks, and car suspensions. They are also used in scientific experiments and demonstrations to study the principles of oscillation and energy conservation.