Finding Tangent and Perpendicular Vectors on a 2D Graph

In summary, The function f(x) is a function of x that is equal to e^(3x)+sin(2x)+3x+1. At the point (0,2), the function has a derivative of 3e^(3x)+2cos(2x)+3, and the slope of the derivative is 8. After finding the slope of the tangent line at x=0, the student found a vector V that satisfies the first part of the problem. For the second part, the student found the equation of the line y=8x+2 and saw that its normal vector is N=<8,1>.
ZdravkoBG

Homework Statement

f (x) = e^(3x) + sin(2x) + 3x +1

(a) Find a vector V that is tangent to the graph of y = f(x) at the point ( 0, 2).
(b) Find a vector N that is perpendicular to the graph of y = f(x) at the point ( 0, 2).

2. The attempt at a solution

The first step I took is to find the derivative of the function, since the problem is asking for a tangent at a point.

I got this: f'(x) = 3e^(3x) + 2cos(2x) + 3

However, I am unsure how to continue. The graph of "y = f(x)" is kind of confusing. I am thinking of maybe somehow getting parametric equations for the tangent line, which would allow me to build a vector. But I am unsure how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Zdravko,

You need to use the general equation of a straight line -what is it? ehild

Well, the general equations would be y=mx+b
However, at this point in the class, we are only using parametrics for lines.

In other words, the only lines we have built so far (involving vectors) have been in this format:

x = a + bt
y = a + bt
etc...

ZdravkoBG said:
Well, the general equations would be y=mx+b
However, at this point in the class, we are only using parametrics for lines.

In other words, the only lines we have built so far (involving vectors) have been in this format:

x = a + bt
y = a + bt
etc...

It is easier to use the first equation. But for both methods, you know one point of the line: (0,2), and need the
the slope m or the tangent vector of the line: For that, evaluate f''(x) = 3e^(3x) + 2cos(2x) + 3 at x=0.

ehild

I think I got it.

I found the slope of the tangent line at x=0 to be 8.
After that, I constructed a vector from point (0,2) to next point on tangent line (1,10).
That vector is V = <1,8> which satisfies the first part of the problem.

For the second part, I built the equation of the line: y=8x+2

Then I saw in my notes that if put in standard form (-8x + y = 2), the "a" and "b" are the vector perpendicular to the line.

So the normal vector to V would be N = <-8,1> .

Is this correct?

It is correct. I just noticed that you needed the vectors instead of equations of lines, tangent or perpendicular to the curve.
You did it right: a tangent vector to f(x) is (vx,vy)=(1, f'(x)), and a normal vector is ((nx,ny)=(-f'(x), 1).
Anyway, the vectors ( a,b) and (-b, a) are perpendicular to each other. (what is the scalar product of two vectors if they are perpendicular?)

ehild

I forgot about that method to check. The scalar/dot product of the two perpendicular vectors should be 0. Thanks for all the help!

ZdravkoBG said:
I forgot about that method to check. The scalar/dot product of the two perpendicular vectors should be 0. Thanks for all the help!

You are welcome :smile:

ehild

1. What is a tangent vector on a 2D graph?

A tangent vector on a 2D graph is a vector that is tangent to the curve at a specific point. It represents the direction and rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How is a tangent vector calculated?

A tangent vector can be calculated by finding the derivative of the curve at the specific point. The derivative is the slope of the tangent line at that point, which can be represented as a vector.

3. What information does a tangent vector provide?

A tangent vector provides information about the direction and rate of change of the curve at a specific point. It can also be used to calculate the slope of the curve at that point.

4. How is a tangent vector useful in mathematics?

A tangent vector is useful in mathematics because it can help us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It can also be used to find the slope of the curve, which is important in many mathematical calculations.

5. Can a tangent vector be negative?

Yes, a tangent vector can be negative. This indicates that the curve is decreasing at that point, as opposed to increasing. The magnitude of the vector is what represents the rate of change, not the direction.