Shield speaker magnet from activating reed

In summary, Harvey recommends using a can to shield a speaker's magnet from being activated by a locomotive's magnet. Harvey also warns that if the can is not made of ferrous metal, it will eventually become magnetized. Harvey recommends either cutting a can to shield the speaker magnet, or using a can made of aluminum. Harvey also advises checking with a magnet if the can is made of any other material.
Harvey Sherma
My question pertains to model trains. I use a magnet under my last car to activate computer commands via a reed switch. One locomotive has a speaker placed near the bottom and the magnet of the speaker activates the reed switch - which I don't want it to do. One thought to correct this is to place a thin substance under the locomotive, between the speaker and the reed, this substance would block/distort/weaken the magnetic strength. It would need to be thin. Is there such a material. I tried aluminum paper but that did not work.

Thanks,

Harvey

Physics news on Phys.org
Harvey Sherma said:
My question pertains to model trains. I use a magnet under my last car to activate computer commands via a reed switch. One locomotive has a speaker placed near the bottom and the magnet of the speaker activates the reed switch - which I don't want it to do. One thought to correct this is to place a thin substance under the locomotive, between the speaker and the reed, this substance would block/distort/weaken the magnetic strength. It would need to be thin. Is there such a material. I tried aluminum paper but that did not work.

Thanks,

Harvey

It needs to be ferrous (like iron) in order to deflect/route the magnetic field.

Try bending a flat piece of iron so that it forms a 4-sided box around your speaker. Drill holes in the diaphram side of the iron strip before you bend it around the speaker. This will divert the external magnetic field lines closer to the speaker, instead of letting them spray out farther where they can affect your reed switch. Try to use the thickest iron strip you can, to avoid having it saturate from the magnetic field so close to the speaker magnet.

KI6EGL

Thanks for the quick reply. One question I have regarding iron is whether this would eventually become magnetized?

Harvey

i used a peach can to shield a subwoofer that was making my TV screen purple.
It was just right diameter to go around the speaker magnet. I cut it tall enough to cover the exposed part of the speaker magnet's bottom and sides.

Ordinary iron won't become strongly magnetized. But i think you want sides on your shield ,as Berkeman suggested.

Many cans are aluminum these days- check with a refrigerator magnet.

There are a few options you could consider to shield the speaker magnet from activating the reed switch. One possibility is to use a non-magnetic material, such as plastic or wood, to create a barrier between the magnet and the reed switch. This would prevent the magnet from directly interacting with the reed switch.

Another option is to use a magnetic shielding material, such as mu-metal or high-permeability alloys, which can block or redirect magnetic fields. These materials are commonly used in electronic devices to prevent interference between components.

You could also try using a weaker magnet for the speaker, if possible, or adjusting the placement of the magnet so that it is not in close proximity to the reed switch.

It is important to test any solution thoroughly before implementing it permanently, as the effectiveness of different materials and methods may vary. I hope this helps and good luck with your model train project!

1. How does the shield for a speaker magnet prevent the reed from activating?

The shield for a speaker magnet is typically made of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron or steel, that is placed between the speaker magnet and the reed. This material acts as a barrier, redirecting the magnetic field away from the reed and preventing it from being activated.

2. Why is it important to shield the speaker magnet from the reed?

Shielding the speaker magnet from the reed is important because if the magnetic field from the magnet reaches the reed, it can cause the reed to vibrate and create false signals. This can interfere with the proper functioning of the device or equipment that the reed is a part of.

3. Can any material be used as a shield for a speaker magnet?

No, not all materials can be used as a shield for a speaker magnet. The material used must be ferromagnetic, meaning it can be magnetized, in order for it to effectively redirect the magnetic field away from the reed. Non-ferromagnetic materials, such as aluminum or copper, will not provide the same level of shielding.

4. How do you determine the right size and placement for a shield on a speaker magnet?

The size and placement of a shield for a speaker magnet will depend on various factors, such as the strength of the magnet and the distance between the magnet and the reed. It is important to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to determine the appropriate size and placement for optimal shielding.

5. Are there any other methods for shielding a speaker magnet from activating a reed?

Yes, there are other methods for shielding a speaker magnet from activating a reed. In addition to using a physical shield, some techniques include using a non-magnetic barrier, such as a piece of plastic, or using a weaker magnet. These methods may be suitable for certain applications, but it is important to test and ensure that the reed is not being activated by the magnetic field.