Slit pattern, vertical or horizontal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the orientation of bright and dark bands when light passes through vertical or horizontal slits. It is agreed that the bands are vertically oriented but spread out in a horizontal pattern. There is also mention of a video showing this phenomenon and confirmation that this is how it happens in real-life situations.
lightconstant
This has already been asked:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=77835

It is a simple question but I am confused, if the slit or the slits are vertical the direction of the pattern is horizontal or vertical?
Vertical:
|
| |
|
| |
|
| |
|

Or horizontal like in this video:

|

| || | | | |

|

At the left is the two slits and at the right the pattern, the first one in the same direction of the slits vertical and the second one horizontal (It should go inside the screen) but It is hard to draw
Which one is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lightconstant said:
Or horizontal like in this video:

The bright and dark bands are each oriented vertically, parallel to the slit(s), but they are spread out in a horizontal pattern, perpendicular to the slit(s). This is how I would describe the patterns shown from about 1:00 onwards in that movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
The bright and dark bands are each oriented vertically, parallel to the slit(s), but they are spread out in a horizontal pattern, perpendicular to the slit(s). This is how I would describe the patterns shown from about 1:00 onwards in that movie.
Well expressed jtbell so is that what it happens or should it be rotated 90 degrees like:

The bright and dark bands are each oriented horizontally, perpendicular to the slit(s), but they are spread out in a vertical pattern parallel to the slit(s)?

please can someone answer my question?

lightconstant said:
so is that what it happens

Yes, it happens the way I described it. I've seen it many times in undergraduate labs during the past 25+ years.

(not the single-photon-at-a-time version, but rather shining a laser beam through slits.)

Thank you jtbell

1. What is a slit pattern?

A slit pattern refers to a series of narrow openings or gaps that are evenly spaced. It is often used in scientific experiments to control the direction or intensity of light, sound, or other forms of energy.

2. What is the difference between a vertical and horizontal slit pattern?

The main difference between a vertical and horizontal slit pattern is the orientation of the openings or gaps. A vertical slit pattern has openings that are aligned in a vertical direction, while a horizontal slit pattern has openings that are aligned in a horizontal direction.

3. How are slit patterns used in scientific research?

Slit patterns are used in various scientific experiments to study the properties of light, sound, and other forms of energy. They can be used to create interference patterns, diffract light, or filter out specific wavelengths of light.

4. How are slit patterns created?

Slit patterns can be created using a variety of methods, depending on the material and purpose of the experiment. Some common techniques include laser cutting, lithography, and etching on thin films or plates.

5. What are the applications of slit patterns in everyday life?

Slit patterns have many practical applications in everyday life, such as in photography, optical filters, and diffraction gratings used in spectrometers. They are also used in everyday objects like window blinds, venetian blinds, and musical instruments like flutes and organs.