Power supply and power dissipated in a circuit

In summary, - because there are three cells, the power supply of the two 4V cells cancel each other, leaving 16W of power. - However, because the power dissipated is 4+8+2+6=20W, the power supply can't be smaller than this.
athrun200
Can Power supply be smaller than power dissipated?
Because I saw this in one question
attachment.php?attachmentid=44488&stc=1&d=1330433350.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=44487&stc=1&d=1330433350.jpg

There are 3 cells, the power supply of the two 4V cells cancel each other. (one is -4W and another one is 4W)
So the total power supply should be 16W

But in part c, the power dissipated is 4+8+2+6=20W

Power supply < power dissipated?

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 869
  • q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,152
Physics news on Phys.org
Can Power [supplied] be smaller than power dissipated?
No. Conservation of energy and all that.
the power supply of the two 4V cells cancel each other
Not exactly - try the problem again, only this time remove the part with the 6ohm resistor.

24W is supplied, but 4W is the rate work is being done against the current - leaving 20W of energy for the current to carry. 20W is dissipated. It balances.
If you built this you'd notice that the "-4W" supply gets hot like all the others.

You can think of this circuit as three PSUs with internal resistances driving a 6ohm load.

Note: treating the bit without the 6Ohm resister as the supply, the Thévenin equivalent would have a voltage of 8V and resistance 2Ohms.

You'll see this still gives 6W dissipated in the 6Ohm resister, and 2W in the Thévenin resister, while 8W is supplied. Again - everything balances.

It seems the Thévenin equivalent should have 7.2V with 1.2 ohm resistance.
attachment.php?attachmentid=44514&stc=1&d=1330494095.jpg

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 758
Using Thevenin equivalents isn't the easiest way here.

What I did was.

1. replace the 8v and 4v source by a 12 v source, and the 1ohm and 2ohm resistance that are in series with a 3 ohm resistance

2. assume the potential at the bottom is 0, and the potential at the top right is U.

3. work out the currents in the 3 branches: (V-12)/3, (V-4)/2, V/6 (all pointed downwards)

4. the sum of the currents must be 0 (kirchhof)

so U/3+U/2+U/6 - 12/3 - 4/2 = 0, so U=6 volt.

then it's easy to work out the currents with the equations already given.

The answer sheet is entirely correct, but it doesn't give the power in the top 4V source.
This power is not equal to 4W, and it doesn't cancel the power of the other 4V source.
I have no idea why you should think that.

The same current is going through it as through the 8V source, so the power must be half the power of the 8V source.

Thanks everyone, I understand it now.

1. What is a power supply and why is it important in a circuit?

A power supply is a device that provides electrical energy to a circuit. It is important because all electrical components require a certain amount of power to function properly, and a power supply ensures that this energy is consistently provided.

2. What are the different types of power supplies?

There are various types of power supplies, including linear power supplies, switching power supplies, and battery power supplies. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the appropriate one depends on the specific needs of the circuit.

3. How is power dissipated in a circuit?

Power is dissipated in a circuit through various components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. This dissipation occurs when the components convert electrical energy into other forms, such as heat or light.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) power is the type of electricity that is supplied through power outlets, while DC (direct current) power is typically found in batteries. AC power changes direction periodically, while DC power flows in one direction consistently.

5. How can I calculate the power dissipated in a circuit?

The power dissipated in a circuit can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. This formula can be used for both AC and DC circuits.