Finding the Composition of Relations

In summary, the relation R^-1 o S^-1 contains the pairs (1,1), (1,2), (3,3), and (5,2) and is defined by the sets A, B, and C which represent the domain of R, the range of R/domain of S, and the range of S, respectively. This can be determined by using the definition of composition of relations, which states that the composition of two relations contains a pair (a,b) if and only if there exists some c such that the first relation contains (a,c) and the second relation contains (c,b).
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

R = { (1,2), (3,5), (2,2), (2,5) }
S = { (2,1), (5,3), (5,1), (5,5) }

Explicitly find the relation R^-1 o S^-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This was on my test.

First I just wrote down the inverses:

R^-1 = { (2,1), (5,3), (2,2), (5,2) }
S^-1 = { (1,2), (3,5), (1,5), (5,5) }

I didn't know what to do because the definition we learned defines 3 other sets, and all of the exercises in my test book has those 3 other sets defined.

For example, there are usually sets A, B, and C along with the sets R and S. So I have no idea how I can apply the definition to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

R = { (1,2), (3,5), (2,2), (2,5) }
S = { (2,1), (5,3), (5,1), (5,5) }

Explicitly find the relation R^-1 o S^-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This was on my test.

First I just wrote down the inverses:

R^-1 = { (2,1), (5,3), (2,2), (5,2) }
S^-1 = { (1,2), (3,5), (1,5), (5,5) }
So [itex]S^{-1}[/itex] "maps" 1 to 2 and [itex]R^{-1}[/itex] maps 2 to 1. Therefore [itex]R^{-1}oS^{-1}[/itex] maps 1 to 1 and contains the pair (1, 1).

[itex]R^{-1}[/itex] also maps 2 to 2 so [itex]R^{-1}oS^{-1}[/itex] also maps 1 to 2 and contains the pair (1, 2).

I didn't know what to do because the definition we learned defines 3 other sets, and all of the exercises in my test book has those 3 other sets defined.
What 3 sets?

For example, there are usually sets A, B, and C along with the sets R and S. So I have no idea how I can apply the definition to do this.
fog contains the pair (a, b) if and only if there exist some c such that g contains (a, c) and f contains (c, b).

Last edited by a moderator:
So (3,3) is in the composition because we have (5,3) and (3,5)?

1MileCrash said:
So (3,3) is in the composition because we have (5,3) and (3,5)?
(3, 3) is in [itex]\displaystyle R^{-1}\circ S^{-1}[/itex] because, (3, 5) is in [itex]S^{-1}[/itex] and (5, 3) is in [itex]R^{-1}\ .[/itex]

I think the other three sets in my definition are A, B, and C and are dupposed to be the domain of R, the Range of R/domain of S, and the range of S.

Sound reasonable?

1MileCrash said:
I think the other three sets in my definition are A, B, and C and are supposed to be the domain of R, the Range of R/domain of S, and the range of S.

Sound reasonable?
As Halls said earlier, "What 3 sets?"

The domain of R is {1,2,3}.

The domain of S is {2,5}.

etc.

What is the definition of "Composition of Relations"?

"Composition of Relations" refers to the process of combining two or more relations to create a new relation. This new relation is formed by connecting elements from the first relation as inputs to the second relation, and then using the outputs of the second relation as the final outputs.

What is the significance of "Composition of Relations" in mathematics?

"Composition of Relations" is an important concept in mathematics because it allows for the manipulation and analysis of complex relationships between various sets of elements. It is especially useful in areas such as algebra, set theory, and graph theory.

How is "Composition of Relations" different from "Intersection of Relations"?

While "Composition of Relations" involves combining two relations to create a new one, "Intersection of Relations" involves finding the common elements between two relations. In other words, "Composition of Relations" produces a new relation, whereas "Intersection of Relations" produces a subset of the original relations.

What are some real-life examples of "Composition of Relations"?

One example of "Composition of Relations" can be seen in the transportation system of a city. The relation between bus stops and bus routes can be composed with the relation between bus routes and arrival times to determine the relation between bus stops and arrival times. Another example is the relationship between songs and artists, which can be composed with the relationship between artists and genres to determine the relationship between songs and genres.

How is "Composition of Relations" represented mathematically?

In mathematics, "Composition of Relations" is represented using the symbol "∘" or "◦". For example, if R and S are two relations, the composition of R and S is denoted as R∘S or R◦S. The composition of relations can also be represented using a composition table or a directed graph.