Physical speed of Edgerton's Trinity spool?

In summary, the conversation discusses a website's claim that 3500 feet of 35mm film was able to capture the first millionths of a second after the trinity explosion at a speed of 10600000 frames per second. However, there is skepticism about the feasibility of this claim, as it would require the film spool to travel at a speed of 894,000 mph. The conversation also speculates about alternative methods that could have been used to achieve such high-speed filming.
TheFerruccio
I found a website which claimed that 3500 feet of 35mm film was shooting at a maximum speed of 10600000 frames per second, to catch the first millionths of a second after the trinity explosion.

I have an issue with how in the world this was done. I know that the camera exploded and the film had to be contained, but 10600000 frames per second means it traversed ~37mm 10600000 times every second. This means that the film spool must have been traveling at 894,000 mph! This would have run through the 3500 feet of spool in .0027 seconds! Am I doing these calculations wrong, or is the website wrong, or is the "huge spool of pre-tensioned 35 mm film" not quite as I am envisioning it?

Physics news on Phys.org
This might be posting in the wrong board, so I'll try another spot. This isn't really classical physics so much as it's a general question. Feel free to delete this thread.

TheFerruccio said:
This might be posting in the wrong board, so I'll try another spot. This isn't really classical physics so much as it's a general question. Feel free to delete this thread.
Do you have a link to that claim? You should be aware that 35mm film was developed as a movie camera film and was only later adapted for use in small canisters for still cameras by the Germans (initially). I have no knowledge of such high-speed movie cameras (in the claim you cited), but I'd love to see some back-up.

Well, moving film material with 900,000mph is not possible (with reasonable methods).

One odd thing: With 10 million frames per second, every millionths of a second needs some centimeters of film. Therefore, 3500 feet are a bit long to capture "the first millionths of a second".

However, I am quite sure that they did not use the regular video camera system. For example, you could use a non-moving film, and move an image over it via a rotating mirror or similar systems. This is (relatively) easy to do if you want to film a single line (instead of a 2D image), and with multiple systems you can film several lines at the same time.

I cannot verify the accuracy of the information provided on the website. However, based on the calculations you have presented, it does seem unlikely that the film spool could have been traveling at such a high speed. It is possible that there were other factors at play, such as advanced camera technology or specialized film materials, that allowed for such a high frame rate. Without further information or evidence, it is difficult to determine the exact physical speed of Edgerton's Trinity spool. It would be beneficial to consult with experts in the field of high-speed photography to gain a better understanding of how this feat was achieved.

1. What is the physical speed of Edgerton's Trinity spool?

The physical speed of Edgerton's Trinity spool can vary depending on various factors such as the size and material of the spool, the tension of the string, and the strength of the person operating it. Generally, it can reach speeds of up to several hundred revolutions per minute.

2. How does the physical speed of Edgerton's Trinity spool compare to other spinning objects?

The physical speed of Edgerton's Trinity spool is known for its impressive speed, often outpacing other spinning objects such as tops and yo-yos. Its speed can also be adjusted by changing the tension of the string, making it a versatile and dynamic object.

3. What is the purpose of Edgerton's Trinity spool?

Edgerton's Trinity spool was originally designed to demonstrate the principles of gyroscopic motion and to study the behavior of rotating objects. However, it has also been used for entertainment purposes, as well as in various scientific experiments and demonstrations.

4. Can the physical speed of Edgerton's Trinity spool be measured accurately?

Yes, the physical speed of Edgerton's Trinity spool can be measured accurately using various methods such as high-speed cameras, strobe lights, and tachometers. These tools allow for precise measurements of the spool's speed and rotation.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using Edgerton's Trinity spool?

Yes, as with any spinning object, there are safety precautions to consider when using Edgerton's Trinity spool. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to prevent any potential injuries from the high speeds and forces involved.